mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Need help with upgrades for 2000 Aggressor.

So I bought this GT Aggressor around 2000. Stopped riding after college, but started up again since last fall. Now I'm really getting back into it, and have noticed a few problems with the bike. Rather than trying to fix the problems 1 by 1, I'd rather upgrade components, a couple at a time. Needless to say, I don't want to spend too much money, but I'm sure entry level components today are much better than what is on the bike right now. Here are my thoughts of what to upgrade in order:

1. Drivetrain (derailers, shifters, bb (maybe?), cassette, front cassette (crank?), & Chain)
    2. Fork (100mm? w/lock-out)
    3. Wheelset (wheels, hubs, and tires (tubeless?))
    4. Brakes (rear is linear pull only, should I put disc on front?)
    5. Handle bar & Stem (flat right now, is riser better?)
    Anything Else???

Performance Bike has a couple shops near me, and have a website showing what they carry. They seem to be an entry level outfit and should fit my budget O.K. I would also like to lower the bikes weight, as it is around 33lbs right now, and I feel it all they way up the mountain. I ride in So-Cal from Pasadena to San Juan (if that helps).

Any advice on upgrades would be appreciated. Thanks.

GT LTS Hoarder
    If I were you, the first thing I'd add on the list is to install new cables and housings for the shifters and brakes. If they're dirty or sticky, just replacing them might fix some of the problems that you're having. As far as upgrading/changing parts, to me, it's a highly preferential thing and what I like, doesn't always speak for the majority, so go with what you like or can afford.

But, if you're trying to dump some bike weight, I'd keep the v-brakes for now. I would think that a set of budget disc brakes and disc wheelset might help your bike add a few grams instead of take it away. You've probably found out by now that weight/performance/reliability is inversely related to price. So trying to shed some weight by buying newer entry level (ie: cheap) components probably won't save you much at the scales. They'll probably work better, but the weight savings you're expecting may not materialize...

Of course, this is only my opinion and you or others may see it differently, but in any case, glad to hear that you're back at it and good luck with the bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I concur with John the roadie on the drive train - performance depends on the little TLCk, not so much on the products. If that really bothers you then you can find 07 Deus crankset for $200 - that's one of the lightest and 200 is dirt cheap. Another one is the wheel set - Mavic 717 (I think) with XT rim brake hub is a relatively lighter affordable set ($150 for front & rear). It is a good time to hunt for the good deals. Look around and you'll find some really good prices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the help guys. I found both the Dues crankset & Mavic wheels at Jenson USA, and they have a couple locations here in So-Cal. Looks like they have more of a selection over Performance Bike. Little more background, I banged up my rear derailer a couple rides ago. It could only be repaired to about 80%, so I think that's what's contributing to the skipping and chain pop-off. Too bad I didn't think of upgrading a couple weeks ago, I think Jenson had a parking lot sale. Oh well...