mtbr member
    May 2013

Need help with GT Sensor and Shimano Zee

Hi guys,

I've recently changed my drivetrain to the zee groupset. I'm having no issues with the smaller sprockets of the cassette, but when I'm using the largest sprocket(36t), the chain seems to be at a rather "sharp" angle. Backpedalling with the largest sprocket also causes my chain to drop a few gears. Is this normal for a 1 x 10 setup or must I readjust my derailleur? Will using spacers to shift my chainring inwards help rectify this issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Onomotopoeia; 05-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm wondering why you went with a freeride drivetrain on a trail bike. Are you running a chain guide? Are you running any bottom bracket spacers on the drive side of your crank? All derailleurs run at a bad angle when you're going high cassette sprocket to large crank ring. The back pedaling chain shift is normal with any combo. Try and post pics if possible.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    -I wanted to try out a 1x10 setup, and the zee is the only short cage(shimano) derailler, so I decided to go with it.

-I'm currently not using any chainguides. (Planning on getting one though)

-LBS installed a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side of the BB.

On my current setup, my chain is straight when it's on the 3rd smallest rear sprocket. Is this normal? Or should the chain be straight on the 5th/6th sprocket?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hmm.... I don't know I'll have to check mine. Mines a 3 ring though. I'll put it in the middle ring and large ring and see what a straight chain line looks like and what sprocket is in. I'm sure if I didn't have a front derailleur on mine, the back pedaling would drop my chain as well. I'll keep you posted on what I find.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.