Nice day for a ride.....

My XCR broke my heart

I was giving my XCR1500 a once over after today's winter ride and getting it prepped for tomorrow when I noticed that the seattube/ mast area right under the seatpost QR has a slight crack starting.......... BUMMER! I just bought this frame NOS this spring and only have about 25ish rides on it (it was my "spare" bike). So much for my ideas of upgrading this bike, I'll be sticking to my tried and true Avalanches now.

If anyone needs some spare IDrive parts let me know, the eccentric bearings, shock, bushings and such are A1

Can't see anything in the pic but its cracked right under the QR clamp
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sucks to hear that bro. How high is your seatpost? Is it all the way to the bottom? I broke a seat tube on my I-Drive 1.0 and it was caused by the seatpost not being all they way to the bottom maybe showing about 1 in. through the bottom part of the tube. I now make sure that the seat post shows at least a little underneath. If the crack isn't all the way through why don't you have it rewelded? We have a welder here in Oklahoma that does a great job. That info probably doesn't help you but maybe you can find one close to your neck of the woods.

Nice day for a ride.....
    The seatpost is flush with the bottom of the seat tube so I think it should be good. I've read alot of reviews and posts saying how these frames are known for cracking in that spot.
    As for welding, I'm a pretty good welder and could do it myself but the frame is made of 6061 aluminum which, after welding, needs to be heat treated. There are not many local places to do that. The last thing I want to do is spend time / money on it for it to break again. I'll most likely sell the shock and the I-Drive parts to recoup some of my $$ and then chuck the rest.

Come to think of it, all my aluminum frames (except my '08 Avalanche, thus far) have broken. Thats 4 frames in 8 years..... all the steel frames I had never gave me any issues. Maybe its time for a change?
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike