Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117

    ... and if we just ... My new avalanche is on its way..

    I just ordered my first GT. The Avalanche X (2011) for a STEAL from Nashbar. 140 mm travel!!! I seriously cannot wait to tear through some trails and barrel down some hills. Excited can't even describe as I will be waiting by the door for the box to arrive every day (even though I know it will not be here til next week ). So any advice for my new "child" upon arrival? I've never used flat pedals and I'm thinking I'm immediately going to throw a clipless set up on there.

  2. #2
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation: juancho142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    405
    Great bike! Post pics!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Arrived today! I went home during lunch and assembled most of it. Now I am 40 minutes away from finishing work and then going home and finishing the assembly and taking it out on its maiden voyage. I'll try and get a before/after first ride pic up here later.
    Last edited by velveteer; 06-18-2012 at 12:32 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    469
    How do you like it ???

    I am considering both this bike and the carbon Zaskar from Nashbar.

    Thanks in advance...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    I love it. It feels like a rock, and has given more a lot more confidence (maybe too much as a took a pretty burly fall yesterday trying to clear a little ravine haha). But its great man. I showed a buddy, who rides a Kona Cadabra and another Kona hardtail, and he couldnt believe the price I got it. I'm not a carbon guy, and I've never ridden a zaskar, so I can't say anything towards that. However, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the X, especially at the price. I plan on upgrading the wheelset here soon, but thats about it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Pics out on the trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new avalanche is on its way..-imag0051.jpg  

    My new avalanche is on its way..-imag0055.jpg  


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borbntm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    469

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    I love it. It feels like a rock, and has given more a lot more confidence (maybe too much as a took a pretty burly fall yesterday trying to clear a little ravine haha). But its great man. I showed a buddy, who rides a Kona Cadabra and another Kona hardtail, and he couldnt believe the price I got it. I'm not a carbon guy, and I've never ridden a zaskar, so I can't say anything towards that. However, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the X, especially at the price. I plan on upgrading the wheelset here soon, but thats about it.
    Thanks for the update on the new ride, it looks like a great all mountain hardtail....enjoy

    Is that fork an air or coil setup?? I know RockShox makes it in both versions from the research I have done..

    I am still undecided on pulling the trigger, I am know researching some upgrades on my Trance X2 which will create some parts to do a build up....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    Thanks for the update on the new ride, it looks like a great all mountain hardtail....enjoy

    Is that fork an air or coil setup?? I know RockShox makes it in both versions from the research I have done..

    I am still undecided on pulling the trigger, I am know researching some upgrades on my Trance X2 which will create some parts to do a build up....
    Air. Super smooth, yet the most rigid fork I've ever ridden.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sickmak90's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    774
    I've pointed my brother towards this bike. It looks like a killer deal, but the color scheme is a little strange.

    If I didn't just buy a rush 6 I'd be all over one of these.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Good to hear the positive review. I have been looking at this at Nashbar for a few weeks now, just itching to pull the trigger. Just have to get final approval from the finance department. It is very frustrating trying to reason with someone who knows nothing about bikes and "sees the same thing" at Wallyworld for 1/10th the price.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: microbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    38
    I have just got a small size Gt Avalanche1.0 black frame with sloping top tube.
    was think about going to 140mm travek fork too.Glad to know it works out.
    2010 Giant Reign0

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer
    I just ordered my first GT. The Avalanche X (2011) for a STEAL from Nashbar.
    That's only $300 more than I just paid for my 2.0.

    Good thing I didn't see this post before I bought my bike or else I might have seriously been tempted to break my budget.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Hey all, i'm new to the site and really in need of help. I don't mean to jack this thread but i can't post a thread until i get a 5 post. I am looking to get a bike this weekend and I have got it down to 3. All GT's

    1. 2012 GT Avalanche 1.0
    2. 2011 GT Avalanche X
    3. 2012 GT Transeo 1.0

    I'd really like to know more about the Avalanche and if the 2011 X is really a lot better than the 2012 1.0. I saw on Bike Nashbar the 2011 X for 799.99 and at my LBS the 2012 1.0 is 999.99.
    Any help would really be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry to post here but i saw you got the X from Nashbar.

    Thx
    Tony

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    Go for the x. It's a steal at that price. Love mine.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by velveteer View Post
    Go for the x. It's a steal at that price. Love mine.
    Man, I'm looking and it's so hard. the components on it are amazing but the color is just a little off for me. I love the grey/orange on the 1.0. I think

    How is the X as an around the street/beach bike?? I am thinking of doing 50/50 street and trails. I have been looking at mostly hybrids and I am looking about the hardtails as i go.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    117
    The color is different, but then again that's another thing I like about it. I've toned it down with a new wheelset, pedals, and clamps. As for street riding, it's not really geared for that. The 2x9 is amazing on trails, bit pretty slow on the street. And the 140mm sektor is not going to be the most efficient on paved roads either.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4
    True but i'm really feeling the X the more i look at it. It's different and with some white peddles......dang!!!
    I think what i will do is if i get it, put some different tires on it. More of a Dual Sport tire. I still need to be able to ride with my girlfriend and things like that on street/beach/pavement and i don't wanna be all slow.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by gekswag03 View Post
    True but i'm really feeling the X the more i look at it. It's different and with some white peddles......dang!!!
    I think what i will do is if i get it, put some different tires on it. More of a Dual Sport tire. I still need to be able to ride with my girlfriend and things like that on street/beach/pavement and i don't wanna be all slow.
    For the trails the X from Nashbar is a bargain however new tires or not it is geared more for torque rather than speed and as such will always lag behind a hybrid that is geared primarily for road use.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

  19. #19
    undercover brother
    Reputation: tangaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    874
    I've got the X and love it. But I will tell you it is slow as molasses on the road. But on the trails.... ohhh buddy.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17
    Great looking bike!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •