mtbr member

My Entry Level GT, (your feedback please)

I am looking for an entry level bike, I found one on Craigslist and would like some feedback on it. It is a 2011 GT Avalanche 3.0, it is supposed to be in perfect condition and the seller says he is selling it because it is too big for his son. He is asking $450 for it, is it worth the price, will it be a good entry level bike? All I know about it do far is it is a hardtail and has mechanical disc brakes and lever shifters (sellers description). I am going to look at it tomorrow evening so please give me some feedback soon. Thanks in advance. Attached is a photoMy Entry Level GT, (your feedback please)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1335925987.002107.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think 450 might be too much since you can get a new one for close to that price.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Performancebike.com has the 1.0 for a little over that price. Check it out.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Huckin' trails
    Bike is nice, but too much asking since it's used, no more LBS service and possible warranty issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Ok, what would be a good offer to make on this without lowballing the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huckin' trails
    IDK for sure... Bike sells for about $600 including taxes around here. If the bike is like new and you might be able to work out the warranty on the parts (usually 1 year warranty from the manufacturer), I'd say go for $300 and work from there ?

Or find another deal for a better bike, but used. Because this bike will get upgrades soon enough that it might not be worth it. Maybe a better spec'd bike with a few years of life will fit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    too much for that bike.

go through an online retailer and get it at almost that price brand new. use that as your bargaining chip.
    Offer 250.00

L.R.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree. start with $250.00. Anything you offer the guy will be a low ball since he thinks the bike is still new and he doesn't want to lose any money on it. If he won't bargain with you, you may be better off getting a new one for a little more than $450 but with better components and maybe hydraulic disc brakes. Good luck with whatever you decide.