mtbr member

My bike fell apart

When I was riding out in Fruita this week my Marathon Carbon lost part of the dog bone. The main pivot got really loose too. I checked the bolts/pivots when I built the bike. They were snug, but no locktite.

Has anyone else had this problem? The bike is like, a month old.

I'll call GT tomorrow at work and see what they say, and hopefully I'll get some torque specs for the bolts/pivots to share.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Always cracks me up when bike shop folk (myself included) have to use the
    "I was just riding along....." story!!!

The pivots in my iD4 came loose i couple time over the 3 years i had it. Never dropped a dogbone tho.

When you get your new ones just give 'em a good locktitin' and they should be fine. I normally use the blue stuff but if they persist on backing themselves out throw on some red and they'll never budge.

Yeah when you hear from GT post up the torques we're supposed to use. I used to just crank it on as hard as i could, not really recommended and deffinately a no-no on a nice carbon ride like yours!!!
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

May the Force be with you
    Go to GT's web site they have all the info on torque specs and video.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Sounds like another vote for LBS to me

mtbr member
    Called GT. Their warranty service is pretty annoying. At least they're in Illinois, and not India. It takes a while, but eventually you can get your problem resolved.

Official word is that yes, bolts should have locktite on them.
    The pivots should be just tight enough to take the play out of them. (The BB tool part)
    The pinch bolts (5 and 6mm) that hold the pivots together should be 60 inch-pounds
    The dogbone bolts should be 75 inch pounds.

I should get a new dog bone in a few weeks.

The weird thing is that when my pivots got loose, those 5 and 6 mm bolts didn't loosen up at all, but the pivots still backed off. I'm throwing locktite on everything with a thread before I ride it again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah that is weird..... unless the pinch bolts backed off, which let the pivots back out untill they hit the pinchbolts again? Dunno.

Sucks your dogbone won't be in for a few weeks.

Good call on locktitin everything. I'll be doin that when my new ride gets here.
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

banned
    I normally use the blue stuff but if they persist on backing themselves out throw on some red and they'll never budge.
    Do not use loctite red. There's no reason for it here. If for some crazy reason the medium blue isn't enough, there are actually higher strength ones in between, such as a higher strength blue and a green. It doesn't just go from blue right into red, "either...or".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Do not use loctite red. There's no reason for it here. If for some crazy reason the medium blue isn't enough, there are actually higher strength ones in between, such as a higher strength blue and a green. It doesn't just go from blue right into red, "either...or".
    Thanks professor.I need to use blue locktite on the spindle nuts on my unsealed platform pedals when I grease the bearings. Hope they don't come apart.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    The colors get confusing when you go with brands other than Loctite (TM). I've seen medium strength threadlocker that's red. So make sure you're using what you should be using, that is, medium strength.

I have run into some Green stuff that was just as hard to remove as Red, so I would only use the medium strength (blue) stuff.

One note on locktite on the main pivots (the BB tool part). Apply the locktite to the female threads. The threads are really tight, and when I put locktite on the male end, it just splooged out when I put it together, and didn't coat the threads well at all.

mtbr member
    I was working on another Marathon carbon at the shop yesterday, and tried out those torque values.

I doubt the numbers GT gave me are right. 60 and 75 inch pounds is barely any torque at all. 100 and 125 seemed a more reasonable amount, even though that's almost double what GT said to do.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    New dogbone came in. Ordered it last Monday, came in yesterday. Not super fast, but not terrible either. I put locktite on EVERYTHING this time. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Store manager said they take a while to get dialed in just right, but once they're set up, they're really reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    where did you order the parts from?
    I got a link from another thread with an online store in the UK which is cool, but I really wish there was a US online store I could order from, I need some dogbone bushings for my 2003 DHI, I already have a spare dogbone.

mtbr member
    I'm a mechanic at a GT dealer. I got it from GT directly. Any GT dealer could order them for you. I bet any local bike shop could order them if they asked GT nicely.

If you don't have an LBS to go through, try emailing them at askus@gtbicycles.com. The worst they'll say is "no" but you may be able to get it directly from them.