I recently converted a 94 Tequesta to a sweet single speed, because I always wanted a GT bike, and steel frame seems to be the preferred choice of the material for a full rigid SS. I love that bike as much as my other bike… Then I found a CL listing for “90s Zaskar” so I just had to go look. I told my wife it would be my Christmas present if I bought it (“then you’ll be hanging it up until the 25th!” came from her) not expecting much. Well it looks like a painted Zaskar:

From the serial #, it reads ’93 frame built up/down with various components. Barracuda stem. Specialized cranks. Manitou. Hmm, so obviously it went though some transformations since it was originally sold. But hey, it’s a nice old GT frame. All in operating condition except that fork is rigid, or maybe it’s meant to be that way. So I planked down $250 he was asking for and brought it home. Sure enough my wife tells me to hang it up. Oh come on…

As you can see, the paint is blemish, and decals are somewhat torn. Maybe someone re-stickered it as the decals are not clear-coated and peeling! Especially on "Z*skar". Did GT do that? I hate to lose the “maid in USA” stickers but I may strip the paint and polish to bare…

Question to you guys: I don’t know why but I’m following through my words and hanging it up without even taking the rack off until Christmas. But does this have 1 1/8 inch headset compatible steer tube? Manitou looks like threaded 1 inch to me and I’d hate to look for 1 inch steer tube fork…

This is the 3rd or so Zaskar listing I saw on CL Denver recently. Bad economy seems to be bringing these old bikes out of people’s garages. Sad, but good days for some.