over researcher

Mongoose IBOC Pro-SX

I picked up the frame in the summer of 1996 and built it up in the winter (Jan, Feb, March) of 1997. It's set up nice and light, in the 23 pound range, but at 32, I think it's time to switch to full suspension.

Is there any market whatsoever for a used sub-4 pound hardtail steel frame, or am I out to lunch. I'm actually thinking of buying a frame, and transferring everything that I possibly can to the new frame. Then I can slowly replace components with newer stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by royta
    I picked up the frame in the summer of 1996 and built it up in the winter (Jan, Feb, March) of 1997. It's set up nice and light, in the 23 pound range, but at 32, I think it's time to switch to full suspension.

Is there any market whatsoever for a used sub-4 pound hardtail steel frame, or am I out to lunch. I'm actually thinking of buying a frame, and transferring everything that I possibly can to the new frame. Then I can slowly replace components with newer stuff.
    Those Mongoose frames are nice. I have thee 97 model. I think the 96 was built buy Ritchey.

over researcher
    Yeah, it's all Ritchey. The blue frame. I have a mag article in a box somewhere in my garage with a pretty cool write-up on the complete bike. I was wanting to buy a Breezer frame, or an steel S-works, but I couldn't come up with the money. This shop was able to get the Pro-SX for $375 so I jumped on it.

I wish it had some fancy bent seat and chain stays though. It's just straight tubing, and the seat stays would flex so much upon braking, that I had to put on one of those carbon fiber Shimano V-Brake boosters that came out around that time.

It's a pretty good buffed single track bike, but the San Juan Trail in SoCal is a bit much for it. I guess I could always slow down.

mtbr member
    I have the 97 model. It has Breezer drop outs..not sure about the frame maker.It might be a Breezer frame? Brian Lopes used it for dual slalom in 1997.
    I just rebuilt it recently with some yardsale parts. Good yardsale...xtr shifters, rear derailluer, new crankset.

over researcher
    I guess I should add that my bike is set up old-school XC (flat bars a couple inches below saddle). It's kind of neat really. It has the old Answer Hyperlite bar with some Onzas, Flite saddle, White Industries hubs, Race Face cranks with Race Face 24-36-48 rings, King headset, '97 Judy SL forks, XTR shifters/brake levers, XT v-brakes, XTR FD, XT RD, XTR ti (top three) 12-32 8sp cassette, Syncros Pro titanium seat post. I put on some Shimano 959 SPD's in '03. I've got a butt load of money tyed into that hard tail. Oh well. Ooh, I almost forgot. The seat stay would flex like mad when braking, so I even threw on one of those nifty Shimano carbon fiber V-brake boosters. I liked it so much I put one on the fork too.

Before the new pedals and ultra trick V-brake boosters, the bike weighed in at exactly 23 pounds (sans pump). I'm sure it's still under 24 today.