mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Monarch on a Sanction?

Anyone running a Rockshox Monarch on their Sanction? How do you like it? What tune did you end up going with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im looking at a monarch plus for my sanction as i think it will be a better match for the sanction.

as for tune. From what i was reading a light fox tune is close to the med tune of RS. so i would try the med tune monarch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What makes you think the Monarch would be a better match for your Sanction? I don't have any experience with the Monarch, but I do like the way my DHXAir 5.0 feels on my Sanction. And your answer to my first question may negate this, but if you are getting a different shock, presumably you want a different feel; so why get a tune on the new shock that equates more-or-less to the tune on the shock you want to replace?
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    And don't be scared to walk. Walking is one of the mystical 3 gears of Single Speed.

Sit
    Stand
    Walk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    because the tune has to match the leverage rate of the sanction frame or else the bike will feel over/under damped.

the DHX air is not know for being that greater of a shock. It tends to blow threw its mid stroke and can be spiky at high speeds, and there is also the issue that not many aftermarket tuners (eg PUSH etc....) are willing to work on them.
    i have a DHX air on my sanction and feel that the 4way swinger i had on my old intense is the better of the two shocks. the swinger used it travel better.

the monarch is meant to be one great little shock and tech wise alot better than the RP23 which is why PUSH were selling till the QA issues showed up with some of the monarch air cans.

the other option is a DB air.............

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Went with a monarch 4.2, with Medium compression tune. It's on it's way but the build is a few weeks out from being finished. I'll report back with a review.

And the sanction I bought didn't come with a shock at all, so I'm not replacing anything. My current/broken frame has a pushed RP23 which is decent, but I'm eager to try something different, and I much prefer rockshox forks to fox forks, so I hope that feel will transfer to the rear end as well.

"tagged", forgive me, but what does that mean?

mtbr member

shock

what size shock does it take? I've read 7.875 x 2.25 but wondering if you guys can verify this. thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    7.5 x 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are looking at a Monarch plus to replace my DHX Air 3.0............

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody using an X-Fusion shock on a Sanction?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miles of pain View Post
    Went with a monarch 4.2, with Medium compression tune. It's on it's 99way but the build is a few weeks out from being finished. I'll report back with a review.

And the sanction I bought didn't come with a shock at all, so I'm not replacing anything. My current/broken frame has a pushed RP23 which is decent, but I'm eager to try something different, and I much prefer rockshox forks to fox forks, so I hope that feel will transfer to the rear end as well.

"tagged", forgive me, but what does that mean?
    Sorry miles...I didn't see your post. By "tagged" I meant I was marking this thread for future reference.
    i'm curious about an X-Fusion shock for the Sanction.i got mine without a shock as well.
    i'm thinking of going "96er" with mine...using a Rock Shox Recon Silver 29er fork and a 29er front wheel (prolly a Stan's Flow rim and a Shimano 529 hub with double butted Sapim spokes and a solid axle in place of a QR axle for added stiffness.
    ...if that doesn't work out good, then I'll go with a 26er fork and wheel.i plan to set the fork at 120mm.I have the parts to do that...and don't wanna buy a 26er 160mm fork unless Ihave to.The Sanction is one helluva frame...that's for sure.Heavy, but hey, it's a All Mountain frame, so it is what it is.i love it.I been wanting a all mountain bike since day one...16 years ago.They just costed too much.But with that recent sale, my prayers were answered.i am one happy hombre.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    are tracking down a high tuned monarch RT3 at the moe for my sanction.

edit have ended up ordering a tf tuned monarch plus rc3.

is meant to be tuned to for weight, riding and bike.

edit again
    im getting grumpy now, have ordered two shocks online now both places have billed my card and then both have told me that they are out of stock.

i think im going to give up on the monarch and just buy a cane creek DB air and be done with it,
    Last edited by herb1234; 08-21-2012 at 07:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well gave up on the monarch and now have a CCDB air from TF tune sitting besides me, just need to find some time now to bolt it onto the bike.

miles of pain have you got your frame with the monarch up and running yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The build should be done this weekend, hoping to ride it either Sunday or Monday!

So no review on the monarch yet, but I'll pop back in and let everyone know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    @miles, where you got the hardware?
    i ordered mine at cambria, but they are out so they special
    order mine, still waiting

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ordered my mounting hardware from Push industries, was around $25.

I was able to press them in with a c-clamp and some large steel nuts that were big enough for the pin to fit inside of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    got my first ride in with the CCDB air on the week end, tis a little odd after the DHX air. The DB air doesn't blow through its travel like the DHX air did and just seems to use the right amount at any given time. am every happy with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monarch on a Sanction?-db-air.jpg  

Last edited by herb1234; 09-03-2012 at 02:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok, I got the bike mostly built up, and was able to go for a very short test ride today. The monarch feels great with the frame, I'm definitely Glad I got the B tune and didn't go any firmer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, I got the bike mostly built up, and was able to go for a very short test ride today. The monarch feels great with the frame, I'm definitely Glad I got the B tune and didn't go any firmer.
    I weigh around 250lbs.
    What tune is right for me you think?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well I weigh about 180- I'm running the shock a little over 200psi, so you may actually want a firmer compression setting, but I'm entirely speculating.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well I weigh about 180- I'm running the shock a little over 200psi, so you may actually want a firmer compression setting, but I'm entirely speculating.
    I been following this thread...and thinking how a 29er fork and wheel will work on this frame.with it being a size too big basically, I won't know until I set it up.i'll post up the result soon.
    ...Enjoy your ride!!
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    when i was looking at the tune i would need (90ish kg in gear) i came up with the high tune, on the plus side you can buy the bits on ebay to muck around with the tunes

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Just a quick update: the B tune feels perfect...The monarch feels pretty similar to the push'ed RP23 I had on my last bike, the monarch has slightly better mid-stroke support.