mtbr member
    Jul 2005

mid to late 90s pantera

i have a chance to buy one locally. Looks decent....chrome.....

he is asking $280

is this a fair price? or should i keep hunting?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scale
    i have a chance to buy one locally. Looks decent....chrome.....

he is asking $280

is this a fair price? or should i keep hunting?
    WAY too much money. Unless you're into collecting antiques. Why not look for a more up to date bike? (longer top tube, shorter stem than bikes from 90's, disc brakes), etc? Check with performancebike.com and their local stores for a low priced bike.(sign up for email- they always have percent off offers & free shippng to their local stores+ some free maintainence & set up.) Keep posting on the forums after you find something for advice from the tribe.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i like the old gt bikes vs the new stuff they put out now. IM not interested in a new bike in this instance hence posting to the GT forum.

mtbr member
    Unless its in mint shape with original parts AND you have some connection to Panteras... I'd say too much. IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

GT Pantera

I got out my old '96 GT Pantera this year to get back into mountain biking. Long story short I broke the frame and went ahead and bought a new bike. The new technology is awesome longer travel / better response forks, hydraulic disc brakes, fat tires. I used to love the old GT but I don't miss it at all. If you are looking to put in some serious trail riding I would put the money towards something newer.

mtbr member
    280 is high unless of coarse it was a true garage queen and is marr free with clean bits on it. Lots of Pantera's were sold and let's face it all they had was a mix of STX and Alivio for parts.... some years even single wall rims. They were always a great looking bike...GT had a way of always dressing the Pantera in nice colors or the polished/billet look .... it was at a price point that more people could afford or would stretch to get. By the way it was never Chrome.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.