mtbr member

On the lookout for a Zaskar...

Found this one for $300.... I know its hard to tell, but what can you guys tell me by looking at this pic... year, quality of the bike... i picked up a very sweet Lts, id like to get a hard tail that is just as nice... this one looks to only be driven a few times then stored....For 300 i think its a no brainer.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On the lookout for a  Zaskar...-untitled.png  

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Looks to be a 92.To be sure,you can compare it to this.
    http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/6...jpg?1341708335
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    i was thinking and hoping it was a 97.... i guess i have to get the sn# from the guy, to really know.....

mtbr member
    Either 91 or 92 because it has a u-brake. First four digits of the serial number stamped in the left rear dropout indicate month and year of manufacture
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    what can you guys tell me of the build quality of these yrs? i love the idea of updating an older badass frame....

mtbr member
    The originals are great. I have a number of the early u-brake models built up from 91-2 era.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

Sneaker man
    buy it! update all you want...just don't put a new (or long travel) fork on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    what do you mean by new or travel fork on it?

Sneaker man
    its a 91-92 year model, back then suspension forks had only just come out and only had around 50-60mm of travel, and frames were still designed around a rigid fork. A suspension fork jacks up the front end (due to the suspension). Even a fork with that little travel will throw the handling out a little if its designed around rigid (can't remember if the old zaskars are or not). Even if we assume they are designed to take an old fork, throwing a 100mm fork will totally trash the handling, turning it into a chopper (maybe some people can live with that)... but the increased leverage may also ripe the head tube off...

I ran 80mm on my 94 diamondback which was designed to run 60-65mm and it was fine, but a 100mm fork made it handle bad.

SO if you run a short travel fork (60ish mm) it will hadle great, 80mm may be marginal, but 100mm or more... well thats up to you...

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    and thats what happens when you have 2 threads open with vaguely similar but different questions questions... stuff doesn't make sense to people

mtbr member
    ok so i just got this bike in the mail today. i already have it at the lbs and is getting cleaning up and tuned... i wanna do this one up right then match my lts to this one.. im not gonna go crazy but id like to upgrade everything from the frame up... what do you guys think about the easton stuff, for my stems,seat pos, and bars... looking to do mavic crossrides, kris king head set and thats about as far as i got... id like to upgrade the brakes, gonna stick to the v brakes, and comonents... just not there yet... id like to do rock shox as well, i just really have no idea of what i need for that older frame, other than keeping it under 80mm... what do you guys think... lets hear some imput.......
    Last edited by stecz20; 09-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think you should look for a 98 or so Marzocchi Z2 Alloy or a old Rock Shox Judy or something from that era. The Marz Z2 was a hot fork in the late 90's...it's like 63mm travel and on the heavy side, but real smooth it was told in bike lore. I have one on my '96 Karakoram.
    Here ya go!
    Marzocchi Z2 | eBay
    i have more than you.
    ...because i have me and you.

zarr

Sneaker man
    can you put v brakes on the u brake frames?

mtbr member
    i can on the front, but im not sure on the back..... i was told no.. it seems the post are higer on the frame for the u brakes than the v brakes....

Sneaker man
    yeah i think you can only use the u brake, no big deal, they're cool.... btu point the bar end down, sticking up isn't how they're supposed to be...

mtbr member
    thats the pic of how the guy had it.... i guess he liked it liked that...