mtbr member

Looking at a GT I-Drive 5 3.0 Frame, thoughts?

I am looking at buying a 2006 GT I-Drive 5 3.0 frame off craigslist and was wondering what the community knowledge says about this frame. It still has the stock cranks and headset included but otherwise is stripped so I will be adding wheels, suspension and drivetrain. Is this a good frame to build up if I can get it for a reasonable price (like less that $100) and its in good shape? I am looking to make it an all around trail bike that will be more capable than my current hardtail. Also has anyone successfully done a 650b conversion on this frame?

mtbr member
    Nobody? Does anyone ride this or a similar frame, what are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Can't say much about 650, but the idrive is a great system. Heck, I would probably call it the best suspension system out there.

The 3.0 means is was a lower spec but if you could get it running for $100, it would be a steal!

mtbr member
    Glad to know its a good system. I wish I was getting it running for 100, its just the frame, cranks, headset, seat and seat tube for that. I would have to build up the rest. I would probably transfer everything over from my current hardtail for now, except the suspension which I would have to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Can't say much about 650, but the idrive is a great system. Heck, I would probably call it the best suspension system out there.

The 3.0 means is was a lower spec but if you could get it running for $100, it would be a steal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's not a bad price for just the frame. The frames are all the same between the 3.0 to 1.0. The difference is on the equipment that was used on it. You now can pick the best equipment for it that suits your needs and you will have a great bike. I recommend a Fox RP23 rear shock.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Anybody know if this frame would even fit me, I am 6'3" 34" inseem and currently ride a 20" Haro.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You need to be on a XL frame. at least a large. I'm 5'11 and ride a medium Force and a large Marathon team so definitely an XL.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.