mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Lack of love for GT's?

Hi all long time GT owner here. I have and old 4130 steel frame outpost a 7005 aluminum frame outpost and just got a new Timberline 1.0 . I have been checking a lot of forums and local shops around me. It seems people think GT's are outdated weak poorly speced or just plain junk. back when I got my other bikes GT was one of if not the best MTB bike made. What gives?

Sneaker man
    they went bankrupt n the late 90's got sold to schwinn, then got sold to pacific cycles whcih just about destroyed the brand, then sold to dorel who do a better job, but for a good long while there they were a nowhere, practically a dept store brand and that sticks.
    A few years ago 07ish they did a great job of making great bikes (the carbon zaskar was way cool, gotta have halo bikes), but now mostly their range is mid to low hard tails. The FS bikes get all the dues, HT not so much. 1 year they will have a full spread from low end all the way up to high end, the next year it will be all mid range and low end.
    blah blah blah...
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    So heres the thing. Going back even further, GT used to be AWESOME. In fact, it was GT that got me hooked. The 98 STS was the prettiest, nicest bike I had ever seen (and still beats a lot of others, visually anyways). GT was on a role. Huge team, kickass bikes, and forward thinking. But then things got a bit stale. They were late to thegame speccing disc brakes. They newer bikes they started pushing out just didn't really do it for people. I think it was because tey lacked that aggressive edge that GT had for so long.

Then the whole pacific thing happened, and GT started building nothing but junk. No style, no balls, no..GT. It just was boring.

A couple years ago though they started randomly punching out some stuff that tasted very much like the old GT. The Carbon Zaskar was one, but really they had no choice but to put out a carbon hardtail since everybody else wanted one too. But it was a start.

The first real glimmer of the old GT (IMO) was the Distortion. There you had a bike that made absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER, and it was awesome. It was built to kick ass, and NOT to slot into some MBA-invented bike slot. Its a ridiculous bike, and its just the start.

You can clearly see the new line is starting to really gain back that GT Swagger. The new carbon Sensor Pro gives me a raging boner. Its exactly the type of bike the GT of old would make. Its aggressive, unique, crazy spec (Who the F specs E13 wheels? Awesome!) and its so friggen pretty. Its what GT is supposed to be all about. The new DH bike too kicks ass, and I cannot wait to see what else they have coming.

The only real problem left that I can see for me anyways is that GT is exclusively SportChek in Canada. While osme of the Sportcheks have a decent mech or two, the 6 that I've visited know next to nothing about GT or the bikes they sell. Fair enough, since they have to know about everything else in the store too. It sucks though, because GT deserves so much more I think.

Either way, GT is back and gaining some serious momentum. As a fanboy, its great to see.
    Stuff.

Sneaker man
    Also a lot of it has to do with Richard Long and his death, there was a big long thread talking about all this, but can't remember what it's titled and cant find it, maybe the history of GT or something.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3