mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Kinesis Superlight frames

Hi:
    I just got a GT bike with a Kinesis Superlight frame.

There is very little info available on the net. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any additional info about the Kinesis Superlight material, and firsthand experience with durability of frames with this material (GT brand or otherwise)?

I did a google search and came across this company:
    http://www.kinesis.com.tw/about.php
    Are they the manufacturer of the tubes and frame (on behalf of GT)?
    IF so, they claim that the KS material has slightly higher tensile strength and significantly higher fatigue life compared to 6061 and 7005 aluminium.
    (see A5 at http://www.kinesis.com.tw/faq.php)

thanks
    tony

mtbr member
    that is indeed the right manufacturer of the tubes. There area a few companies, notably Ideal and Merida, that also make GT bikes in Taiwan. I wouldn't be shocked if Kinesis sold raw tubes to other manufacturers.

The Kinesis Superlight tubing isn't the same as the Kinesium, I don't think. They make "Kinesis Superlight" and "Kinesium Superlight."

From their website: "Twenty-five percent stronger than traditional 7005 series aluminum, a frame built with Kinesium tubing weighs 10% less than similar frames built from Kinesis Superlight."

The Kinesium looks like their special blend of Scandium tubing. Scandium is pretty awesome and rides amazingly well. People have this idea that it's fragile, but I don't think it's any worse than any other aluminum as far as durability goes. It is a lighter weight bike with skinnier tubes, so it may dent easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nato_the_greato
    The Kinesis Superlight tubing isn't the same as the Kinesium, I don't think. They make "Kinesis Superlight" and "Kinesium Superlight."

From their website: "Twenty-five percent stronger than traditional 7005 series aluminum, a frame built with Kinesium tubing weighs 10% less than similar frames built from Kinesis Superlight."

The Kinesium looks like their special blend of Scandium tubing. Scandium is pretty awesome and rides amazingly well. People have this idea that it's fragile, but I don't think it's any worse than any other aluminum as far as durability goes. It is a lighter weight bike with skinnier tubes, so it may dent easier.
    You're right - the chart was referring to Kinesium not Kinesis Superlight.
    Sounds like the K-S is basically a 7005 series aluminium.
    (Plenty of 6061 vs 7005 info on the net which I wont re-hash)

But then what exactly is K7? Sounds like a lighter version of the K-S?

Been reading about the fate of GT post bankcruptcy, sounds like the parent company (Dorel/Pacific Cycles) has plans for GT and Canondale to be the "premier" bikes that are sold in LBS only (as opposed to chain / box stores - which is the fate destined for Schwinn/Haro/Mongoose which Dorel also owns).

Kinda sounds like GT has come full circle (or as full circle as you can get with a Corporate owner).

tm

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RU4REAL
    Hi:
    I just got a GT bike with a Kinesis Superlight frame.

There is very little info available on the net. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any additional info about the Kinesis Superlight material, and firsthand experience with durability of frames with this material (GT brand or otherwise)?

I did a google search and came across this company:
    http://www.kinesis.com.tw/about.php
    Are they the manufacturer of the tubes and frame (on behalf of GT)?
    IF so, they claim that the KS material has slightly higher tensile strength and significantly higher fatigue life compared to 6061 and 7005 aluminium.
    (see A5 at http://www.kinesis.com.tw/faq.php)

thanks
    tony
    Hi, I'm curious about your bike. Can you post a photo of it here, thanks!