mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Just purchased a Performanc e Bike I-Drive 5

I just purchased this bike and I'm looking to upgrade rather quickly. Here is the exact bike:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

I can see that this "performance exclusive" has different components than any of the ones on the GT site. I'm mainly looking to upgrade both the front and rear suspension. Is this what most people would recommend with these components or should I go down a different direction. Obviously since I purchased this bike my budget isn't unlimited but just looking for a good price / performance upgrade to start with.

The front fork has 100mm of travel but the ones on the GT site vary from 90 to 130 I believe. Am i limited to a fork with 100mm travel?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would go with at least a 120mm fork on there. You have 5" of travel in the frame, which is 127mm. A 130mm or 120mm fork would balance that out pretty nicely.
    The DART forks are pretty low end. Like, you can't go much cheaper. Pretty much any fork is gonna be better.

The single best upgrade you can do is the wheelset. Notubes.com sells some sick wheelsets starting at $440. If you go tubeless with the stock tires, you'll drop close to 2lbs off the total weight, which is huge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks

mtbr member
    oh and i wouldn't worry about the rear suspension. for like $250 or so you can buy a Fox Float, but you won't notice a huge difference. that money would be better spent on other parts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Get rid of the dart first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey there, as others have said, ditch the fork and get something in the 130mm travel range like a Rockshox Tora and if your budget allows lighter tyres.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mamoi
    Hey there, as others have said, ditch the fork and get something in the 130mm travel range like a Rockshox Tora and if your budget allows lighter tyres.
    Thanks thats what i'll be doing just wasnt sure if 130mm would be too much. But assuming I have the same frame as the other i-drives i thought it would work out just fine since some of those have 130mm travel

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How are you doing with this bike? I bought the same one and have upgraded the following: Tora 318 (80-130mm), Mavic cross ride wheel set, Fox Float RP2, Easton Carbon fiber seat post and handlebar, deore lx crankset, platform pedals

I absolutely love this bike.

Master of Disaster
    Kudos. The Tora 318 (either coil or Solo Air) is a Motion Control fork - completely above any other TurnKey fork (which also lack the serviceable bushings present on the 318).
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701