mtbr member

Just got my new agressor, questions I need some help with

Hi guys,

Well after wanting a new bike I finally got my aggressor today and am very excited to ride it for the first time. Figures today we finally get rain after a month but its okay we need it and I will head out tomorrow. But I have some questions that I hope I can get some help on. The bike shop I got it at were great about answering my questions but of course I forgot to ask certain ones when I was there. So I have some and please forget my newbie terms as I am still learning more and more about mountain biking.

The first is about shifting. When I look at the shifters I see two "paddles" on each shifter. Now I think he told me that I have to click the bottom one first and then click the top one ( thats where I can see the number for the gear ) to actual change the gear? Is this true? does the bottom "paddle" kind of act like letting the clutch out on a car? but in bike terms remove tension from the chain? I have read about cross chaining and see some videos on you tube about avoiding it? would this cause damage to the chain if done too many times?

Also should I be shifting to a lower gear when coming to a stop? I know that if you have to stop suddenly you stop but, if you know a stop is coming up to downshift to a lower gear.

I also feel the rear tire kind of feels like its has a small amount of friction on it, barely noticeable but would this be caused by having brand new brake pads? like I was saying its barely noticeable.

Any help would be great, looks like a cool place around here

Jeremy

No good in rock gardens..
    You don't say which model Aggressor you have - the 1.0. 2.0 or 3.0. That info would help.

On each shifter, there is an upshift paddle to take you to a higher / harder gear and a downshift paddle to take to to a lower / easier gear.

Normally on the left shifter, which shifts the front derailleur, the thumb lever is the upshift lever and the other forefinger lever is the downshift lever.

On the right shifter, for the rear derailleur, the reverse is true - so the finger shifts to a higher gear and the thumb to a lower gear.

It is advisable to shift to a lower gear when coming to a stop - it makes it easier to get going again.

Cross chaining is where there is an extreme chain line caused by using the big ring on the front with the big ring on the back, or the little ring on the front and the little ring on the back - the chain is at an extreme angle across the gearset and this can speed wear, you can get rubbing on the front derailleur too sometimes. It makes no sense to crosschain. All I do for example, is if I'm in the large chainring I won't shift to a gear past the third lowest gear on the back. If I need any lower I drop to the middle ring and pick the appropriate gear on the back. If I'm in the small chainring I won't shift more than halfway along the gearset on the back, before I switch to the middle ring on the front.

Brakes - hard to know without knowing what brakes your bike has. Sometimes screwing the barrel adjuster on the brake lever IN a couple of turns will ease the cable tension a little bit and alleviate brake rub.

Hope this is of some help.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....