mtbr member

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.

I ordered my Karakoram from Nashbar, and I'm going to hold of on explaining why I was super frustrated with Nashbar before the bike arrived, and just focus on what happened from the point the bike arrived:

The 2013 Karakoram 2.0 that I ordered last Thursday arrived today.

The bike was delivered, without signature required, in the proper vertical orientation, and was kept upright during installation. Excessive pressure was not used on any parts. It is the fourth bike I have built for myself, and the sixth bike I have built, having ordered and built bikes for a friend and my wife at two separate points around 2005.

As expected, the bike showed up 80-90% assembled. So what wasn't expected? Here they are in the order I found them.

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-dsc_0474.jpg

Above you can see that the rubber seal on the tire has been malformed by an impact to the side of the box at some point during or prior to shipping. The box had a bulge to one side which was the plastic protective disc that was covering this seal, causing the box to protrude due to the amount of pressure being put on the wheel by the box.

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-dsc_0480.jpg

Where's the midpoint? The handlebar, which one would expect to have measuring notches on both sized of the center of the bar has those notches off-centered by over half an inch. The handlebar itself does seem usable, but it does not seem to be perfectly 100% symmetrical, and the notches are cosmetically unattractive. Here's a shot of what each bar would measure if I used their notches:
    Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-left-handle.jpgJust got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-right-handle.jpg

Another unpleasant surprise I fixed you can see below:
    Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-dsc_0490.jpg
    You can see that the cable to the rear derailleur does not have the plastic clip that holds it in place. There are three similar metal tabs on the frame that hold the rear brake cable, and all of those plastic clips were included, although one was loose when the bike arrived. I secured that back in place, but the plastic clip for the derailleur was nowhere to be found. I used part of a zip tie from the packaging to secure this cable, but ideally I'd have liked to have to used the plastic clip the bike was supposed to come with.

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-dsc_0492.jpg
    Above you can see that Shimano mineral oil was coming out of the right brake cord near the brake handle. I did not see this until first trying to use the brakes on the initial test ride. After wiping the oil off, additional oil was found again after a very short test ride with multiple brakes tests. I understand there is a "break in" period for hydraulic brakes, but his leak seems unusual. I've never had hydraulic brakes previously, is the above normal?

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.-oil-second-view.jpg
    A second view of the oil.

I can provide much higher resolution of all shots, I didn't want to overload this post, so the shots were resized.

A quick summary, it looks like I have:

Rubber seal: Shipping damage (mild)
    Handlebar: Manufacturing error
    Derailleur cable holder: Missing Part (Manufacturing error?)
    Oil leak from right (rear) brake: Unknown

The bike was just delivered today and assembled just now. I have already had multiple issues with the Nashbar that I'd prefer to keep out of this thread, or at the very least, this post, but can anyone let me know if the brake oil is unusual? Does anyone have any recommended next steps?

Thanks in advance for any help, guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    peteer01,

I'm not sure about the issue you have or what you paid for the bike. I've been considering the same model and I noticed that performancebike has it for $649 now. If you paid more than that I think nashbar will pricematch it for you.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post

A quick summary, it looks like I have:

Rubber seal: Shipping damage (mild)
    Handlebar: Manufacturing error
    Derailleur cable holder: Missing Part (Manufacturing error?)
    Oil leak from right (rear) brake: Unknown

Seal: the pic is of a disc brake, so no idea there
    Bar: hard to tell from the pic, it looks liek the controls on both sides take up 6.5inch, and it "looks" liek from thre pic that it is just off centre at the clamp, but i find it hard to tell.
    Cable, is that full cable housing all the way along the stay to the mech? with cable holders like disc brake hose ones? Thats weird, new ways i guess.
    Leak: no idea.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seal: Remove the rotor and put it back on, looks like it somehow got on the outside of the inner rotor.
    Bars: line it up as center as you can, if it feels fine, ride it. if not, contact nashbar and see if they will replace them.
    Cable: I'm sure you can find the clips, or have a LBS order them from GT, if I had spares from my GT I'd glady send them your way. Also contact nashbar about them.
    Brakes: That's not normal. I bought a new pair of Shimano M596 Deores and during and since I've bought them no leaks at all. Contact Nashbar.

Also to someone who said PerformanceBike, they own Nashbar last I heard.

Sneaker man
    ah I see, we're talking about the seal on the hub, I was looking for a tyre off its bead or something.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Huckin' trails

Just got my new 2013 GT Karakoram 29er, has the following issues out of the box.

Brake shouldn't be leaking. I recall XT/XTR brakes having a manufacturing defect at the hose and leaking oil, Shimano had issued a recall for them and replaced the hose and sometimes the whole brakeset depending on how bad it got, but I am not aware if the Deore or SLX are also experiencing same. No matter what, it is not normal. Best thing to do is to have Nashbar warranty them, dont waste your time trying to fix them yourself. Let them deal with it.

For the rubber dust cap of the hub, just push it back in place, worst case you'll have to take off the rotor to male it right. No big deal, but frustrating.

Those plastic clips never really seem to work well. Just tie-wrap the housing on the guides instead, more secure and that's usually what everyone do. Full length housing for derailleur is pretty nice IMO for an entry-mid level bike.

For the bars, they're either just not clamped right or they are not asymmetrical, so take them off, check them for good and either clamp them back properly or have Nashbar warranty them.

Sorry to hear about all your issues. That's why I'm always anxious to buy a complete bike without actually assembling it all together myself. Maybe you could try to buy the frame only and build it up with your own part selection ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Idk about the brakes, but doesnt seem right.

as for the bars, are the grips on all the way? loosen shifters and brakes, move them toward the center and see if the grips go in more. Or remove the bar and everything on it and measure it again so you can be 100% sure its manufactured wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simon87 View Post
    I noticed that performancebike has it for $649 now. If you paid more than that I think nashbar will pricematch it for you.
    They did. :-)

I called and spoke with Nashbar, and they were surprisingly good. They reminded me of the company I'd had multiple good experiences in the past, and not the Nashbar that's frustrated me this time around.

Spoke with the parts/service team, they decided to just have me do a hot-swap RMA, I get the new bike, ship back the old bike, and all the issues mentioned above go away. (Hopefully not being replaced by any new issues...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nashbar is Performancebikes sister company

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    re: the pricematch, That's good, I'm glad I could help.

I picked up the same bike yesterday at a local Performance. I didn't notice any of the issues that you mentioned, but mine was already built.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simon87 View Post
    re: the pricematch, That's good, I'm glad I could help.

I picked up the same bike yesterday at a local Performance. I didn't notice any of the issues that you mentioned, but mine was already built.
    You enjoying it? Aside from the issues above, I've been loving it, but I've only ridden on the road so far. (I was supposed to ride with a friend yesterday, but he has bronchitis.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Oddly enough I've been fighting off a cold since I got it home. Haven't felt up to riding it yet. I am rev'd up to try it as soon as I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd chime in and say that the second bike came, the fork was not behaving correctly, but the bike was otherwise as it should be. I swapped forks and sent the old bike back. The new bike has been absolutely fantastic.

Nashbar came through with pricematching, made swapping the two bikes easy, and I'm very happy with the GT, it's been a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Nashbar was great. The bike is good, but I've replaced the fork out of necessity. The pedals, wheel set and front tire changes are all things I was happy to upgrade, but the fork seemed necessary for the trail riding I we do and the issues I was having with it.

Since my prior post, two friends both bought the same model (one an XL, one an M), and the issues I'm seeing across all four bikes is a bit concerning. I made a post about that in detail here:

2013 Karakoram 2.0 QA issues?