mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Internal Cable Routing - GT Marathon

Question about the internal routing of cables through a carbon GT Marathon frame. I dis-assembled the bike and simply pulled everything out.....is there actual tube inside the frame to guide me back through or am I in for a long night with a coat hanger trying to feed them through :-). Also, my rear brake hose was shot anyways therefore I just cut it to slide it through.....looking back I realized that it wouldn't have fit through the guide anyways due to the fittings on the end.....any suggestions here on how to get a new hydraulic cable/hose through there? Thanks! Blake

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi Blake,

I had the same problem a month or so ago, what I found is that there aren't any internal cables so there's probably only 2 choices (I am no bike mechanic so there could be better ways). The first is to use some wire and spend an age trying to get the cable through and if you manage this you'll probably find that there isn't enough room for your gear cable to go through too. The second option which may not be recommended is to use a hammer and chisel to push the clip into the frame (I did this as I got so frustrated trying to fix) there will then be ample space to get any cables through. The downside is that the previous clip will still be in the frame and you'll need another clip to replace the original (I am trying to find the part on the web).

The brake cable clips are plastic and come out of the frame relatively easily so you should be able to get any cables through.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Tony

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am interested in this as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just an fyi...some may know of this, some may not....I watched a SRAM tech wrestle for quite awhile trying to figure this one out (once I showed him, it was 15 minutes and done)...I learned it on a proflex 856 (internal cable routing on the swingarm)..I also had a Force carbon pro that this worked on...per sram techhy guy.
    First, if you took the cable out already, you need a coat hanger to replace...tough but very doable.
    If you have your cables still intact, you use the old cable to fish the new one through.
    I know this may seem obvoius, but once you try, you will find it is actually difficult.
    The hard part is attaching the two cables together and have them stay together and be minimal thickness where the tape is.
    What I found to work for me was to take the two cables (cut front lead piece off old cable with good cable cutters(nice endcut). Then butt the ends up of the old and new cable...this is where the trick comes in...you need a good strong but thin tape..trick is to wrap the tape on the old cable in such a way as to make it on an extreme angle, this angular wrapping will bridge to the new cable. It is like a chinese finger trap, the angular wrapping is extremely strong and can be had with minimal build-up on the cables (to fit through small holes). Any grease/oil on old cabe will need to be removed at tape area to help adhere.
    Hope this helps soemone out there...good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Superglue

I have managed to get a coat hanger wire through after what seemed like hours of trying, I couldn't get the tape to work though. Someone has suggested superglue as the end will be cut when it's connected to the derailleur. I had already removed the clip so it was too late to try this. My LBS is trying to find something tha I will be able to use instead of the clip that I had pushed into the frame.

If you have your cables still intact, you use the old cable to fish the new one through.
    I know this may seem obvoius, but once you try, you will find it is actually difficult.
    The hard part is attaching the two cables together and have them stay together and be minimal thickness where the tape is.
    What I found to work for me was to take the two cables (cut front lead piece off old cable with good cable cutters(nice endcut). Then butt the ends up of the old and new cable...this is where the trick comes in...you need a good strong but thin tape..trick is to wrap the tape on the old cable in such a way as to make it on an extreme angle, this angular wrapping will bridge to the new cable. It is like a chinese finger trap, the angular wrapping is extremely strong and can be had with minimal build-up on the cables (to fit through small holes). Any grease/oil on old cabe will need to be removed at tape area to help adhere.
    Hope this helps soemone out there...good luck![/QUOTE]