mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I-Drive's braking performance (on a Force)

(X-Post from All Mountain Forum)

Hi there,

I tested a GT Force Carbon last weekend, and was really impressed with it's pedaling performance. The trail I tested it on didn't have too many rocks 'n roots, and I also didn't have a lot of time on the bike, so I couldn't really test it's braking behavior.

This is what worries me a bit: in principle, GT's I-Drive (or Independent Drive Train as they call it now) is a single pivot with the bottom bracket mounted on an extra link, right? Does this construction "solve" the classical stiffening problem that single pivots have under braking, line the Horst link does?

My current ride is an Orange Patriot 66, and I really don't like the stiffening rear end under braking on that bike. I know some here believe this to be a braking skills problem. I don't wanna get into that, but let me say that I changed my technique (or tried it), and the stiffening still bothers me.

Also, did anyone try a 160mm fork on a Force? I'd prefer that slightly slacker HA, and I don't need really the extra frame strength of the Sanction.

cheers
    LEE

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Even though the GTs are a single pivot full susser, they seem to not be affected a whole lot on the brake stiffenning part. I for one, have not had any problem with the brakes tightening on my Force 2.0 and on my other older I-drives. The floating bottom bracket seems to help on keeping the suspension working even if you're chocking the rear brake lever. There is a trail here in Oklahoma called Turkey mountain and it is full of rocks. I love riding that trail, and the last time I took my Force I had no problem on the rocky downhills. It is a great bike, you won't be dissapointed if you get one.

Vita brevis
    I don't know about the newer I-drives, but on the older (2004) I-drive, the suspension does stiffen up a bit. Not as bad as a high-forward single pivot, but enough to notice. The suspension action while pedaling, such as climbing rough, rocky or rooty singletrack, is more than enough to compensate for a small amount of stiffening under braking. Just stay off of the brakes in the roughest sections.