mtbr member

i-Drive pivot maintenance at Performance Bike?

Fellow GT riders,
    I have a 2010 Sensor 9r that's starting to creak and groan. When I bought it at Performance, they threw in two free "tune-ups." Last year (after about 6 months of ownership and pretty heavy use), I used one of them, and asked them to look at the pivots and bottom bracket, as it was starting to make noise. When I picked up the bike, I asked them what they did, and they said they were unable to reproduce any noises, so they didn't touch the BB or pivots.

Now, more than a year into owning the bike, it's definitely making noise. If I remember correctly, GT says you should service the pivots every year. Has anyone successfully gotten Performance to follow GT's maintenance schedule? My alternative is to take the bike to the LBS closer to my house; they're much more attentive to what I want done, but I'd have to pay out of pocket.

Advice appreciated!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Do it yourself, or use a real bike shop. It's super easy to do, and if you need bearings they are just 1 1/8 headset bearings you can get anywhere... Probably just needs cleaned up and greased tho.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    After 2500 miles, i have yet to need new bearings. These are sealed and are pretty high quality. Even if they do get sand in them, you can pop the seals and clean them out using carb spray, then reassemble. You can do the pivot maintenance yourself and via the guide in the GT Force reference thread.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 07-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld