mtbr member

I-Drive Eccentric Question

I inherited a '99 XCR-300 from a friend and with the help of my mechanic at work, stripped it down to the frame, re-assembled, re-cabled, and rebuilt just about everything (including the fork). But I was riding it this past week and noticed that when I begin to pedal after coasting for a bit that the pedals actually seem to shift the eccentric a few mm before the pedaling affects the rear wheel, accompanied by an almost clanging sound. When the bike is not in use, I can wiggle the eccentric back and forth with my fingers. Anyone know what might be causing this to happen? I'm beginning to suspect that part of the eccentric may have ovalized (I have no idea about what happened to the bike before the previous owner acquired it), causing the eccentric to be able to shift. Any help would be appreciated.

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by sdflcorran
    I inherited a '99 XCR-300 from a friend and with the help of my mechanic at work, stripped it down to the frame, re-assembled, re-cabled, and rebuilt just about everything (including the fork). But I was riding it this past week and noticed that when I begin to pedal after coasting for a bit that the pedals actually seem to shift the eccentric a few mm before the pedaling affects the rear wheel, accompanied by an almost clanging sound. When the bike is not in use, I can wiggle the eccentric back and forth with my fingers. Anyone know what might be causing this to happen? I'm beginning to suspect that part of the eccentric may have ovalized (I have no idea about what happened to the bike before the previous owner acquired it), causing the eccentric to be able to shift. Any help would be appreciated.
    THe eccentric mounts in the frame much like a headset. In order to keep thing from rattling around, they need to be adjusted properly. You need to adjust the eccentric to get rid of this slop.

Not too hard to do.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    How exactly? It seems like it ought to rest in a set position with the bar connecting the eccentric with the frame determining the at rest position. I may be totally missing it, but how would I adjust that?

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by sdflcorran
    How exactly? It seems like it ought to rest in a set position with the bar connecting the eccentric with the frame determining the at rest position. I may be totally missing it, but how would I adjust that?
    There are 3 set screws on the non-drive side, remove them then rotate the collar that they hold to tighten up the assembly. Re-install screws. While your at it makes sure all your suspension bushings and bearings are in good shape. If you need replacement parts they can be found here.....http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?Cate...i+Drive+Spares

hope this helps

Eric
    2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Some I-drive files.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GTi_driveteam/

Here's a link to some info on how to assemble and disassamble the i-drive. I've posted some how to's pics in the picture section, and a pdf file in the file section. You do have to become a member of the forum to see these files but it may be well worth it. I hope this helps you.

GT J

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh, one more thing. the slack can come from a loose shock mounting bolt or the bushings on the dog bone are worn out and you need new ones. There's a parts pdf file on that website I just posted. They are for the I-drive team and race but I believe the bushings are the same.

GT J

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/GTi_driveteam/

Here's a link to some info on how to assemble and disassamble the i-drive. I've posted some how to's pics in the picture section, and a pdf file in the file section. You do have to become a member of the forum to see these files but it may be well worth it. I hope this helps you.

GT J
    I am not seeing you how too photos in the photo section.
    Am I looking in the wrong place? Here
    I am having a similar problem. I rebuilt my idrive and on a rid Saturday it kept loosening up. Then I think the internals went to crap, Everytime I had to stop and tighten it up, I had to tighten it further and further. In the end there was about a 1/4 inch of threading showing on the non drive side. Very discouraging but I know it is some thing I did wrong.
    Sometimes your the windshield, other times just the bug. That's life. (c:
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Scratch that I found them. Sorry I have never dealt with yahoo groups before. I actually received my rear triangle off ebay and it came with both a set of free bearings and seals and also the sealled set. which would be best to use?
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Have you become a member of the I-drive team forum? You have to sign up for the forum. That may be the reason why you can't see the photos or files. As soon as you sign in you will find some stuff in the files folder and some in the photos folder. Let me know if you can get in. If your i-drive has the sealed bearings then you probably installed one of the bearings backwards. Don't ride your bike until this is fixed. Let me know if you need more help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It depends. There are two types of 1st generation I-drives. The first type uses bearings in a race and cups and the other uses the sealed bearings. It all depends on what rear triangle you have. If you look at the photos on the team forum I've also posted some pics of an older GT i-drive how to poster. I think the difference on rear triangles is that the sealed bearings use a retaining clip on the I-drive and the cup and seal bearings don't so look for a groove for the retaining ring, if you don't have that groove then you need to use the cup bearings. I don't know how to explain it better. Look at the different photo folders that I posted and that may help clear things up a little. If you have some detailed pics of the new rear triangle post them here and I may be able to tell you which ones you can use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks gt jorgito. I will take some photos. I have been going through the photos and one step I skipped was the tapping with a mallet to seat the seal. That is probably where I messed up. It is so hard to find someone that can work on these or directions. Your group thread is a god send.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thank you for your offer to help GT JORGITO. I figured out what my problem was. The bearing cups that I received were 4mm to deep. It was great figuring it out but frustrating burning up all that time trying to figure it out, especially when it was right there in front of me the entire time.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cool streamline, I'm glad you found what was wrong. Hope you got it working right and that you'll be up and riding pretty soon. I'm gonna put mine back together today so I can begin to start rebuilding it. I'm gonna try to make it under 24lbs. for my racing bike and 4inches of travel all around. I may have to go to v-brakes to get to that weight but I can compromise since I'll only use it for racing or fast rides and use my GT Force for the fun and technical rides. I'll see ya later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Good lord it was a pain to rebuild. I got it put back together last night. If I had the right parts it would have been a breeze and thank god I had one good seal left from the old set up or I would have been sitting pretty... mad lol.
    The parts I got were 45% good and 55% worthless to me. Guess I will be selling some stuff on ebay. Anyone need some sealed bearings and Bearing cups that are too deep for non sealed bearing setups.
    I am going to hit a local trail today and see if it implodes again, fingers crossed. I am heading out for a day trip Saturday and I need my girl healthy.
    Mountain Biking Apparel

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hello
    I'm searching an eccentric for my Idrive Team. Those for sealed bearings
    GT customer service says that no spare parts for those bike are available.
    My last chance is YOU.
    If somewhere, somebody have a good heart to sell me one, please contact me at ahcece@hotmail.com
    Thanks a lot
    CÚline