Thread: I-Drive for DH

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

I-Drive for DH

i have an 04 GT i-drive 2.0 and i was thinking about making it an entery level downhill / free ride bike. anyone have any suggestions for or against it?. i would probably have to upgrade the forks, rear shock, and wheelset. any and all suggestions are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    so im guessing no one out there has any feed back

Photo:N$R
    Giver' Hell! I have a fully custom 2007 GT I-drive 5 (with the forged I-link mind you) and I rocked Keystone like a man possessed last year. I was a hurtin' unit by the end of the day, but held my own and cleaned the monster rock garden that some much bigger bikes faultered on. I have a Manitou 4way Swinger coil for rear travel and a Rockshox Pike up front. I ran Maxxis 2.35 DHF and DHR tires and I had a blast. I may not have been fastest down the mountain, but I cleaned everything top to bottom by run #5. It was awesome. I couldn't even hold a pencil in my hands the next day so I'm gonna rock Keystone again on my I-Drive 7 this coming year and see how that goes. Should be good times for sure.
    An ID5 is a perfect all around bike. I consider my style Aggresive All Mountian and I love my 5. I also love my 7 and my 4, but my 5 was my first and FIRST it still is!
    I say run what you brung and make the most of the bike you've got. It'll handle everything if you are smooth and smart. The flemsy lil' I-Link of yester-year may take some max stress, but if it doesn't break, you should be good to go.
    BBBRRRAAAAAPPPPPPPP! GT for life!
    How's that for feedback? I just couldn't leave you hangin'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thanks photo. that was very entertaining to read.

You're very welcome..Oh and don't forget to upgrade the wheelset straight away! Keep the stock set for something else. I recommend some Forte Locos from Performance Bike. I don't care what anyone says about these wheels, they are BOMB PROOF and can really make a difference on any big trail or DH run. I've had 2 sets for over 2 years and haven't had one single dismal spec of unreliability thus far. They'll take everything from DJ to DH and then some. Also recommend Azonic Outlaw series only becaue they're are the same damn thing as the Locos.
    Have fun building your dream machine!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had an I-drive 1.0 from 2004 (the old style) and also did keystone. I loved the heck out of it. Mine had only 4 in. and some in the rear shock but I had a psylo race at 125mm in the front and I also had a blast. I didn't have beefy tires since my setup was mostly XC except for the front fork which I bought just for the Colorado trip. I usually ran a SID when I rode the bike here in Oklahoma. That bike rocked in Colorado Trails even with skinny 1.95 Maxiss ignitor tires on it. Do go for better bigger DH tires though. I was getting bounced around by the rock gardens. Good luck dude.

underestimate me
    PhotoN$R, for make it more DH i recommend purchase dropouts from 08' GT Sanction and install it and you'll receive rear 12mm maxle.
    Also it'll perfect fit with front 20mm through axle (or Pike with maxle).
    I'm waiting for this dropouts already
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Vita brevis
    I have an '04 I-drive 2.0 that I have upgraded for all mtn riding. It does pretty well in technical stuff, I have taken it to Moab, and done some lift accessed downhill with it. That being said, the geometry is not quite right for serious downhill, nor is it strong enough for drops much over four feet. The 2.0 has mechanical discs, If you want to ride steep, scary stuff, you should get some hydros with at least a 7" front disc. A fork with about 130mm travel will help too. I also had to put a stronger bottom bracket in mine. A short stem and a little higher\wider bar will help the handling in the steeps too. Good luck and have fun with it.

Oh yeah, the biggest tires you can fit on the thing are a good idea. I run 2.3 Conti rear, 2.5 Conti front and it works really well.

mtbr member
    Very informative....This thread rocks!