Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    slo65

i-drive creak creak creak

i know these bikes are notorious for it, but is there anyway to get rid of it? i'm tired of people asking about it on group rides , my bike is an 06 i-drive 5 4.0 (say that 5x's fast), i love the bike aside from the creak, is it the bottom bracket? i had the bike tuned up recently at a shop, works great aside from that nasty creak. i tried searching, but didn't find much, thanks in advance

Vita brevis
    Might be a bottom bracket. If it is, you can fix it yourself if you have the tools, or take it to an LBS and whatch them do it. All you need to do is remove the crank arms, clean and lightly grease the spindle and crank arm interface, reinstall the arms and torque down to proper specs. I don't know the torque numbers right off hand, but a quick net search should turn them up. If your creak is the bb, this should fix it.

mtbr member
    I feel your pain...My '06 I-Drive just started creaking when pumping hard or on uphills....It's pretty annoying ; so consensus is bottom bracket? Or maybe the pivots?... Any feedback on this is appreciated...

slo65
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSpicoli
    I feel your pain...My '06 I-Drive just started creaking when pumping hard or on uphills....It's pretty annoying ; so consensus is bottom bracket? Or maybe the pivots?... Any feedback on this is appreciated...
    yea it's a loud creak, it's annoying when hammering down on some uphills i'll wait for a couple more people to chime in, the bike's due for a good cleaning but regardless the last time it was cleaned/tuned the noise was still there

Vita brevis
    My '04 I-drive has never had the eccentric rebuilt and does not creak. The bottom bracket has, however, needed to be serviced a couple of times. I would check the bb first, it is easier to deal with than the I-drive mech. Good luck.

May the Force be with you
    I've had that prob also. What you need to do is take part the i drive assembly with a shimano BB tool. Clean and re-grease the bearings. Do not skimp on the grease. Tighten nice and tight. That should fix the noise. There is a video ( at least there was ) on GT's web site showing how to service the i drive on the 05 and new bikes.04 if it's the second generation i drive.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! remove, clean, lube and reinstall the dropouts !

One of the main areas my 2007 ID5 1.0 creaks is at the dropouts..sounds crazy but it turned out to be true...I called the guys at customer service and they tipped me off to the fact that even though it SOUNDS like its coming from the BB it can be the dropouts....they were initially not lubed correctly (or at all for that matter) at the assembly factory ...I guess they fixed this oversight....anyway I did it, pulled the d-outs off of the swingarm, cleaned them and then lubed both the swingarm and the d-outs with phil wood, lubed the bolts, put it all back together and it worked.....as far as the main pivot or the BB link pivot they said that it was most likely the BB pivot that was cuasing the creak and that slathering the bearings and cones in anti-sieze will quiet that area.....

love the bike ...hate the creak......but no creak for the last 20 hours of riding....

Glad to hear it worked.

slo65
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtstar59
    One of the main areas my 2007 ID5 1.0 creaks is at the dropouts..sounds crazy but it turned out to be true...I called the guys at customer service and they tipped me off to the fact that even though it SOUNDS like its coming from the BB it can be the dropouts....they were initially not lubed correctly (or at all for that matter) at the assembly factory ...I guess they fixed this oversight....anyway I did it, pulled the d-outs off of the swingarm, cleaned them and then lubed both the swingarm and the d-outs with phil wood, lubed the bolts, put it all back together and it worked.....as far as the main pivot or the BB link pivot they said that it was most likely the BB pivot that was cuasing the creak and that slathering the bearings and cones in anti-sieze will quiet that area.....

love the bike ...hate the creak......but no creak for the last 20 hours of riding....
    call me an idiot but any pics? i'm not sure exactly what you mean (still kinda new at the mech side of riding)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the drop outs are the thing that hold your wheel to the frame.. the little slotted metal pieces on the rear most end.

slo65
    thanks guys i'll give it a try, like you said i really like how the bike performs but it's downright embarrassing when on group rides

Front Range, Colorado
    Often times a creak will form as a result from riding through a creek.
    Seriously though I used to get a creaking sound from my old school I-drive. I found that the plastic / rubber sleeve at the shock bolt upper and lower was the culprit. I simply sprayed them with silicone occasionally and it solved the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've had 3 creaks on my i-drive 2.0. The first was the chain ring bolts (Truvativ Stylo). The 2nd stopped after I replaced the dog-bone, which snapped on a night ride (I assumed that it may have been slightly damaged, and that caused the creaking sound). The third time was the chain ring bolts again. Whenever I get creaking I give the chainring bolts a bit of a tighten before I disassemble the main pivot just to prove I am on the right track, and so far I am 2 for 3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Grease the BB-Link Pivot

Quote Originally Posted by slo65
    i know these bikes are notorious for it, but is there anyway to get rid of it? i'm tired of people asking about it on group rides , my bike is an 06 i-drive 5 4.0 (say that 5x's fast), i love the bike aside from the creak, is it the bottom bracket? i had the bike tuned up recently at a shop, works great aside from that nasty creak. i tried searching, but didn't find much, thanks in advance
    Just bought a 2006 GT i-Drvie 5 4.0 off e-Bay. Creaked like mad whenever peddling. Long story short, I replaced the bottom bracket and crankset and still had the creak! Took it all apart again and this time took off the BB-Link Pivot...greased the hell out of everything and used teflon tape on all threads. Also greased the seat post, dropouts, and derailleur hanger. No more creaking with about 20 miles of road and trail riding so far. I think it was the BB-Link Pivot. You'll need 3 special tools for this...

One to get the crank arms off
    One for the BB (BBT-18 I think)
    One for the BB-Link pivot

FWIW...I'm a rookie and found these repairs quite easy. Good luck!

- Ed

mtbr member
    My CREAK is solved! (For now anyways*fingers crossed")..ReretteK is in right direction with the possible solution...BB Link Pivot Lube-Fest/New Crankset/New BB+ginormous amounts of Lube/Grease=No creaking.....When took off old crankset, it was practically bone dry and old BB was kind of beat up....Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go here

http://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/manuals

and get the I-drive manual and supplement. They explain the maintenance pretty good and have exploded views.

A good cleaning, greasing and proper tightening of the pivots fixed mine too.

slo65
    looks like i have some tools to buy, thanks guys

Awesome not Rad
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSpicoli
    My CREAK is solved! (For now anyways*fingers crossed")..ReretteK is in right direction with the possible solution...BB Link Pivot Lube-Fest/New Crankset/New BB+ginormous amounts of Lube/Grease=No creaking.....When took off old crankset, it was practically bone dry and old BB was kind of beat up....Hope this helps
    Also grease the bolts on BOTH replaceable drop-outs... I had an iDrive 5 that was creaking, rebuilt all the pivots (heavier grease the better) and then that it was the replaceable dro-outs. I removed them, greased the bolts and the interface and it fixed it

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    haha- i got an 2007 i-drive 4.0 a few months ago and i am getting the creaking when pedalling; i called performance and their techs are backlogged about a month so i am gonna have a look myself....we had quite a few floods out here in northern IL, so i think it might be the bottom bracket that needs greasing, but will check out all the other parts also.

thanks!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce372
    haha- i got an 2007 i-drive 4.0 a few months ago and i am getting the creaking when pedalling; i called performance and their techs are backlogged about a month so i am gonna have a look myself....we had quite a few floods out here in northern IL, so i think it might be the bottom bracket that needs greasing, but will check out all the other parts also.

thanks!
    A real dilemma:
    Often times a creak will form as a result from riding through a creek.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    so yes, it seems its the pivot and not the bottom bracket....i did that first and it still creaked...then i did the two pivots and all was good. i didnt like working on those soft alumunium pivots though....i am too used to dealing with MX bikes where everything needs to be tigned down firmly!!!

thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I had a horrible creaking noise from my new Force 3.0 everytime I would pedal hard. Turned out to be the bolts that go through the suspension pivots were loose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wanted to add some info in the interest of helping others if they have this problem. After thinking I had fixed the creaking noise, it returned in full force. After dissasembling and cleaning everything in the suspension and BB, it appears that a lack of grease in and around the bearings on the suspension pivots were at fault. There was a decent amount of grease on the actual bearing but the race area and the sides and exterior were all lacking. A generous application of grease and there isn't a creak to be found under any condition. Finally!

It was tricky- the creak would come and go with every tightening and greasing. It was especially bad when applying a side load on the pedals and while pedaling. I just hope that i got it for good this time!

underestimate me
    But it's still creaking:
    i-drive5'07.
    Reassembling BB link and change bearings help but for 2 months. Now it's creaking while pedaling hard and I've reassembled and regreased BB ling again with no success. Trying to remove dogbone for grease but already almost broke lower bolt.

I'll try to check dropouts but I'm not sure of them as noise generators...

May be someone till now already has success stories about creaking? (except describing below).
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

RE- tight

Quote Originally Posted by untoco
    But it's still creaking:
    i-drive5'07.
    Reassembling BB link and change bearings help but for 2 months. Now it's creaking while pedaling hard and I've reassembled and regreased BB ling again with no success. Trying to remove dogbone for grease but already almost broke lower bolt.

I'll try to check dropouts but I'm not sure of them as noise generators...

May be someone till now already has success stories about creaking? (except describing below).
    Try to re-tighten the i drive linkage. That helped me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1