mtbr member
    Jan 2012

i-DRIVE bearing seats in frame sloppy. please help!!!!

I picked up a 2012 distortion with slop in the suspension. Figured i could tighten everthing up and worse case replace bearing. I broke it down and the bearings themselves were actually in decent shape. But i found the main pivot and main idrive bearing dont fit snug in the frame. Is this normal?
    I reassembled, and on the rack there doesnt seem any play. but i still get bit of creaking while pedaling and a little clink or something when bunny hoppin around. Could this be the play between the bearings and frame? I was thinking of painting a few layers if loctite or something to take up the play. Im hoping i can save this bike. i gave it a ride today to check it out and the geometry just was awesome downhill and hittin little kickers.
    Im also thinkin the bb maybe the culprit for the creak but i dont feel any play there while applying lateral force on the rack. Same deal when isolating the pivots and looking for lateral play. All seems well. Im thinking the down and up force maybe slippingvthe bearings in the cup. Any advice or personal experience is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have found that the bearing cups just slide in with no press fit. I have had the creak come and go and usually it is the drop outs need to be cleaned and lubed. I also replaced the du bushings in the shock with needle bearings and got rid of a squeeker there also

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    green Loctite would be your answer to take up play but might be a problem down the road when it comes to maint.

mtbr member
    More specifically you want loctite retaining compound. It is used for press fit applications and there are different viscosities depending on how space needs taken up.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables