mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I-Drive 5 rear shock suggestions

Hey guys i have an i-drive 5 i bought at Performance ( http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true ) and i have already replaced the fork w/ a Fox 32 Float R and i really wanna upgrade my rear shock from the Rock Shox Bar 2.1 to something nicer. I weight 200 lbs. I'm looking for something that will really take advantage of the 5" of rear travel. I want something that will be sweet for the down hill and and still minimize or eliminate the pedal bob going up the trail. I was thinking about the Float RP23 and the DHX 5.0. Any suggestions about either would be greatly appreciated. And please suggest any shock I didnt mention as well! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have the same bike and I just bought a 2009 RP23 on ebay brand new for $225 w/ free shipping. I am waiting for it to arrive on Wednesday so I can't say yet if I am happy or not or if it was as advertised but the same seller has another one listed right now:

RP23

The seller is advertised as a bike shop in NJ and was quick to respond and shipped the same day. I will post an update when I get it on the accuracy of the ad and condition.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tuftster
    I have the same bike and I just bought a 2009 RP23 on ebay brand new for $225 w/ free shipping. I am waiting for it to arrive on Wednesday so I can't say yet if I am happy or not or if it was as advertised but the same seller has another one listed right now:

RP23

The seller is advertised as a bike shop in NJ and was quick to respond and shipped the same day. I will post an update when I get it on the accuracy of the ad and condition.
    Dude!!! Awesome job by you finding that sweet deal! I got one myself from that dude in NJ! Hopefully it gets here by the weekend so I can rock it!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No problem. I can't wait to get mine too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Where do you ride at man?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I live up in the Bay Area and mostly just ride a couple of local trails.

May the Force be with you
    I have an RP23 that came with my 08 Force and love the shock. I live in Chico and it does great with the rocky lava top in Bidwell park.

mtbr member
    My I drive 5 came with an Fox float r. Its good and plush, jumps fine but its not the greatest climber. Like to hear how it works out for you all on the rp23. Can you even fit the DHX 5.0 in the frame?? Anyone?
    JAD

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey just a random question but what tires are you guys running? My Nevegals are getting worn out pretty quickly and looking for something that will last longer and perform as good or better...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just switched from my Nevegals to some IRC Mibro's after getting a set for $10 at a swap meet. They are definately a step down in traction but the make the bike feel like it weighs half as much. I only have two rides on them so I can't say how long they will last though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

It Finally Came!!!!

Hey I just got my Fox Float RP23!!!! I freaked out when i first got it cause the upper bushings near the PP lever were too big and wouldnt mount up properly!!!! But once i figured i could pop them off I took my bike to the local Performance shop and had them fit it with new bushing and finish the installation for me. Cost me $15 bucks total. Well worth it! $5 for the new bushings and $10 for the labor. I cant wait to ride this shock!!! Tuf you get your new shock and mount it yet???

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I recieved mine and it looks great but I have been sick and haven't had the opportunity to mount it or try it out yet. Let me know how yours does when you get a ride in.

mtbr member
    Send Us your first ride impressions. I'm interested in getting the rp23 or DHX 5.0 I'm leaning more towards the rp23.
    JAD

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hey guys! I finally got to ride my baby set up the way i wanted it! The RP23 is absolutely F'n amazing! I would have to say its the second best 200 bucks i've spent (second to only my Fox Float R fork). The shock is soooo much more plush compaired to the Bar 2.1 that came w/ the bike. And the ProPedal is fabulous! Simply flip the switch and you can mash out of the saddle goin up hill and barely notice you are riding a full suspension. Climbing was much easier and i could really feel the extra power being used in the peddling stroke rather then being wasted in what lil suspension bob the I-drive couldnt prevent. IMO if you can find one of these on ebay for under $350 grab it!!! I cant wait to get out again tomorrow morning and ride another 2.5 hours!!! The I-drive and Fox Float RP23 were made for eachother!!

mtbr member
    Hey what size is the shock? Is it 7.5 x 2.0?
    JAD

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yeah. If you are putting it on the I-drive 5 you need to take it to your local shop cause it needs new bushings in the front cause the ones it comes with are too big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was able to reuse the stock bushings on the new shock. I haven't been able to ride it yet but hopefully it rides as good as yours Johnny. What setting are you running your rebound at?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tuftster
    I was able to reuse the stock bushings on the new shock. I haven't been able to ride it yet but hopefully it rides as good as yours Johnny. What setting are you running your rebound at?
    I rode again yesterday for a couple hours again and the shock is AMAZING! I am able to ride longer and harder with it cause i'm not wasting as much energy while climbing with the ProPedal. I will add more psi and run it around 215 psi cause i feel like i'm using full travel a lil easily at 205 psi. I have the rebound set to 3 clicks short of full (fast) rebound. Dont need the slow rebound to climb since i have the ProPedal. Shock makes a world of a difference!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

???

Tuf have you riden lately on the new shock? I'm curious to know how you like yours

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have only had a chance to take out twice and I would still like to make a few more changes to the settings but I love it already. I don't feel a huge difference in propedal on or off but it is plenty and still keeps the suspension active. Hopefully I can get back out soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your investment as well. I notice the ProPedal really only when climbing out of the saddle. Keeps the bob to a min. Anyways, ride till you die my friend!