mtbr member

i-Drive 4.0 Rear Shock

I'm a total bike newb and have had this bike for a very short time.

I only have a few miles on this bike since I got it but pedal bob is killer on this bike. I did a little research and my shock doesn't have "ProPedal" on it. I'm guessing my only 2 choices are to increase the PSI in the shock or replace the shock with one that has PP?

mtbr member
    Bingo. Those are the two most common choices...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you are getting killer bob then your shock most likely has very low air. A little bit of bob is ok. But remember, the i-drive works best when you have a little bit of bob, it just doesn't affect your pedaling like a single pivot or a horst link would. Start by matching your weight to the pressure and work your way down or up depending on your preference. I run my shocks a bit on the high side. I'm 210 lbs. Shock pressures are around 215 to 230 psi. Don't exceed the manufacturers high pressure settings though.

mtbr member
    The original owner had this bike sitting in storage for a year and never used it. I'm guessing it has lost a little pressure because I feel like 50% of my power is being taken away due to the bob. I'll play around with the pressure. Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Fox is recommending I use a special pump for the shock to pump it up. Do I really have to buy that or can I use any pump with high enough pressure?

Slowly but surely...
    If it has a schrader valve, technically any pump will fit it, however, finding one that can pump up to 200+ PSI is going to be tough, unless it is a shock pump. You're best to go to a bike shop and have them pump it up for you, since they should know what they're doing and they probably won't charge you anything (if they do, it should be nor more than $5 or $10). Well worth having someone else do it for your first set up. However, if you think you'll be playing with pressure alot, I'd recommend ebay for a pump. A decent one can be had for around $15-$20.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.
    - Juli Furtado