mtbr member

I cried a little today

I have been slowly building up my 2011 Karakoram 3.0 over the past 4 months with each part improving the performance and making my rides pure joy. This is my second bike in the ten years I have been riding, while I did upgrades to my first one, I never could justify spending money on a new fork.

My Karakoram came with a 5.6lb suntour fork and I rode this and pushed it to its limits. I quickly realized that I have outgrown the capabilities of this fork and decided it was time. Yesterday I received my first real fork, a 4lb x-fusion slide 29. All I can say is WOW! I can't believe how much change a fork can do to a bike. I actually have a bike now that can give others a run for their money.

A little history, for the past month I went back and forth over the Reba and manitou tower. I tried to read all I could on these forks so I knew what to expect when switching to a air spring fork, but it wasn't enough when it comes to actually riding one for yourself. I chose the slide over the others mainly cause I am all about durability. The slide 29 internals and switches are all metal no plastic and you can make it 80, 100, and 120mm without adding or removing internal pieces.

While the Reba*is a popular fork out seemed to have more problems than I was willing to deal with. The Manitou I spent the most time looking at, but with my body weight and the lack of parts readily acessible online, I didn't like the idea of buying extra parts on top of the price of new fork that fork was no longer an option.

I am extremely pleased with the x-fusion. I will post more as I get the fork dialed in and able to get more rides in. There is not a lot of reviews on this fork so hopefully I can help somebody else out there the same situation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How is the fork working out? Sounds like its pretty nice. Its nice to meet someone who has a Karakoram 3.0.