dot
    mtbr member

How reliable are carbon Zaskars? Any horror stories?

I'm considering a carbon one and need to know about frames reliability since I'm a bit freaky in that area. Still haven't seen many new ones in "Post you GT" thread.

Any owners' confessions?

No good in rock gardens..
    IIRC someone posted a while back about a brake lever going through a top tube after a crash.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

dot
    mtbr member
    oh bugger, it doesn't sound promising. I had silmilar accidents before and even had small dents from them. The most serious one was with my then Epic and Avid SD lever. It was just a scrach for the frame but I had to use a wrench to free the lever from the other side of the frame :-/ It was a kind of stxc race, I was in top three at that moment and DNFed because I hadn't had any tools with me :-(

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Maybe there's a way to protect that area or raise the levers enough to miss the top tube if you ever end up twisting your bars that far.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    Maybe there's a way to protect that area or raise the levers enough to miss the top tube if you ever end up twisting your bars that far.
    Yes. Just make sure that the levers are higher than the top tube

... if not.... don't crash

Trying a little
    don't stamp on them, scratch them, dent them, kick them, or cause them to come into impact with anything hard. Other than that they're stronger than any metal of the same weight and shape.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

No good in rock gardens..
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    don't stamp on them, scratch them, dent them, kick them, or cause them to come into impact with anything hard.

These are intended to be MTB's, right??
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    ok ive ridden one, they are very very stiff, not as stiff as some aluminum frames ive ridden but still very stiff. as for looks - WOW was all i could say ripping it out of the box, its a very masculine chunky frame that for me is just yum!

but and there is a but, i personally wouldnt buy a carbon mountain bike if i intended on keeping it as my bike for a long time, the frame isnt incredibly light in fact the trek 8500 is a lighter bike by our scales - in an ideal world this is what id do for a hardtail -

trek 8500 frame with the stock fox fork, running X0 rd with X0 pod shifters and xtr FD with carbon bars post and cranks and avid juicy 5 or 7's and rollin on a decent set of wheels......but then again i havent priced that up! probably a decent figure more than zaskar, but then again itl be a heck of alot lighter too!

thats my $0.02 keep us posted on what you get!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    What was the frame weight? Frame size? Thanks

mtbr member
    ive ridden the large, im not exactly sure of the weight but it certainly isnt light, like i say the trek 8500 al frame is lighter

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My size L carbon Zaskar Team weighs in at 21lb10 oz, fully stock with full XTR and Crank Bros Candy SL pedals. That is with no tubes, I'm running stan's fluid in both tires. I've had the bike since Jan with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i have a friend who is about 135lbs. who is very smooth on a bike and he is on is second frame and this one is cracked also. it is at the top tube seat tube junction

mtbr member
    when i say certainly not light by no means is this bike obese!

its light but not carbon light if you get what i mean, id rather have a light al frame