Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hmm..

705 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  153stars 
#1 ·
I figured I would ask those of you have already gone through this.. I'm getting back into trial riding after the 10 year 'break'. My 'old' bike is a 2002-2004 chomoly GT Aggressor that has 'low' miles- as it still rolls on its original tires, brake pads and RTS shock!! However, the shock has water in it, the shifter is broken, and so on.. Am I better off 'rebuilding'/ refreshing the bike or just buying a new GT? An Avalanche 1.0 or 2.0??? Looking for entry level, best bang for the buck...

thanks!!!

George

#2 ·
The correct answer is whatever makes you smile more.

Fixing it could end up costing you more than buying a new bike but but you may have better components when done. However buying a new bike is simple and won't turn in to a money pit (not that I think fixing this one will either).

You could also buy something new to get you started and build this frame up while enjoying the trails on your new ride. You can never have too many bikes. ;)

#5 ·
I picked up a 2007 gt i drive 5 in my size with components XTR cranks XT ders. fox shox Components between best GT level would be" i drive 1.0" and next 2.0 for less 800 us shipped that I couldn't be happier. Haven't really said what terain or budget your looking at. Entry level is subject to opinion. Tons of great deals to be had on older components to get that thing up and running on ebay Seen older oil dampened forks go less than $100 shipped. Close outs on Jensons usa , Price Point , Competive Cyclist ect.. for tires and such.. I got a set of bars stems grips alivio shifters & brake levers for $35 shipped for a beater bike. Best bang for your buck is found with patience and research.
If you can get a fork and stuff to get it going for 150 or so I 'd say go for it can always use as a loaner. Wouldn't spend much more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.