mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Help with Zaskar u-brake bosses

I bought a 90/91 Zaskar LE 9 years ago from my buddy at work. At that time I removed all components including brake bosses to polish the frame. I never put the bike back together because I moved to Chico CA and the bike and parts went into storage. Last week i got the itch to start biking again. I got the bike and most of the components and took it to the local bike shop to put back together. The bike shop called and asked where the rear u-brake bosses were. I have no idea!
    The local bike shop cant find ones that fit. I called GT but they couldnt tell me the size either. I checked the serial number on the bike and it started with the numbers 1290. Can anyone help with finding replacement bosses?
    thanks
    Last edited by GT_Dude; 07-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This sounds kinda ignorant but can you define brake boss for me. I got some old stuff stashed away from old bikes. I may be able to help you out. I'm assuming they are the screw on studs used to be able to install the brakes but let me know what they are maybe I have some.

J.V.

mtbr member
    QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) a parts distributor in Minnesota stocks the boss that you need. You'll need to take the frame to your Local Bike store and have them check the threads in you frame to insure they order the correct thread pitch. These bosses/studs are available in two thread pitches (1.0 and 1.25 if my memory is correct) so it's mandatory to put a thread guage in the opening to insure you get the right one ordered. If I remember right they are about 5-6 dollars a piece.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the replies! The brake bosses are the studs that screw into the frame and the brakes mount to them.
    My bike is in the local bike shop right now and they have yet to find an answer to the missing bosses and its been a week.
    Im going to call them tomorrow and ask them to measure the thread pitch and then contact QBP.
    Ill keep everyone posted on my search!
    I went through every box in my storage today and could'nt find the bosses.
    I'll post photos of my bike when i get it back.

mtbr member
    Here's what your after. I pulled this one out of a 92 Purple ano Zaskar. The diameter of the threaded portion is 9mm and it's a very coarse thread...at least 1.25 maybe even 1.50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for checking and the photo. I contacted Quality Bicycle and they dont carry the brake boss i need. I sent an email to Harris Cyclery but they dont have any bosses on their web site. I will continue to look around on the web and contact my local bike shop again. Do i have any other options if i cant find brake bosses that fit?

mtbr member
    Try one of the JAX bike shops in So Cal. They were big GT dealers back in the early day and may have one.