mtbr member
    Apr 2009

HELP !!! Trying to find out what year & model of GT

Serial # SAS60I0655 stamp on BB also GT stamp on end cap and drop outs.
    Last edited by jjsky5000; 04-16-2009 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    all it takes is a picture with the decal and you got your year....looks like a 96 by this serial number ...does it have original spec parts and what are they? That will help too.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Painted a new powder coated black finish it just has a GT sticker. XTR/XT components 9 speed weighs 32lbs total

mtbr member
    Based on the serial number and information you've given me all I can tell is that it's Taiwan built and a GT. Sorry I can't be of more help. Steel frame or aluminum? Judging by the weight with XT and XTR parts it must be steel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Photos hope that helps

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks nice!

Deffinately Aluminium frame.

Maybe a Backwoods?
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    here are some pics of a 1997 zaskar (ebay maybe) lol

looks very similar but if it was made in teh us serial should be on drop out a not on BB

so i think my bike is newer afetr 2001 but i am still not sure what i have

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsky5000
    \\

so i think my bike is newer afetr 2001 but i am still not sure what i have
    It's not possible for yours to be newer than 2001. Look at the seat stay bridge...it's a flat plate style...correct. Your serial number says the frame was built at San Fa in Taiwan and in 1996.
    Dropouts are stamped 7005 on the inside...correct? Since this is your fourth post I assume you are seeking this information so you can list it and sell it?

I don't even think the black color is original on this frame it's got to be resprayedl...what aluminum models were made in black from 1992-96?...only the 92 Pantera right? and the 92 Pantera falls under the exception rule as the only other GT aluminum hardtail ever built with a flat end cap but their dropouts are clearly stamped 7005 and they have a serial number with an "H" for Taiwan-Hodaka production

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    It's not possible for yours to be newer than 2001. Look at the seat stay bridge...it's a flat plate style...correct. Your serial number says the frame was built at San Fa in Taiwan and in 1996.
    Dropouts are stamped 7005 on the inside...correct? Since this is your fourth post I assume you are seeking this information so you can list it and sell it?

I don't even think the black color is original on this frame it's got to be resprayedl...what aluminum models were made in black from 1992-96?...only the 92 Pantera right? and the 92 Pantera falls under the exception rule as the only other GT aluminum hardtail ever built with a flat end cap but their dropouts are clearly stamped 7005 and they have a serial number with an "H" for Taiwan-Hodaka production

yes they are stamp 7005 "very awesome that you knew that " i got it pretty cheap. The components are worth more than the bike. i knew it was painted black so the color is not the oringinal but i am not sure what model. I am keeping it. its very light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsky5000
    yes they are stamp 7005 "very awesome that you knew that " i got it pretty cheap. The components are worth more than the bike. i knew it was painted black so the color is not the oringinal but i am not sure what model. I am keeping it. its very light.
    7005 of 96 vintage could be an Avalanche, a Pantera ,a Backwoods or a Tempest.

mtbr member
    Hard to get a mid-90s Zaskar to tip the scales at 30 pounds. Stock (with XT) the bike was under 24. Thinking Pantera.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    32lb is definately not light. Heck, my AM bike is a hair under 32lb. My 93 purple (16 inch) with old XT group and all came out 24.5 lb complete, so yours got over 7lb of dead weight somewhere. Check the inner tubes for those thorn resistent one some people use, or perhaps the handle bar is made of heavy material? I think you have some big room for an improvement there. Good looking bike, and major components aren't that bad either. That saddle freaked me out first tho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    32lb is definately not light. Heck, my AM bike is a hair under 32lb. My 93 purple (16 inch) with old XT group and all came out 24.5 lb complete, so yours got over 7lb of dead weight somewhere. Check the inner tubes for those thorn resistent one some people use, or perhaps the handle bar is made of heavy material? I think you have some big room for an improvement there. Good looking bike, and major components aren't that bad either. That saddle freaked me out first tho.
    I havnt weighed it (LOL) teh box that it wa sent in was 32lbs (lol) i was just guessing

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    7005 of 96 vintage could be an Avalanche, a Pantera ,a Backwoods or a Tempest.
    Terramoto also?