mtbr member

Help trying to chose a bike.

Looking at a 03 i-drive 5.0 or 2010 zaskar elite. Plus or minuses? I know they're different bikes but wanted to know all of your opinions. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    depends what you are looking for. and budget the 03 i drive is quite dated and a pretty low end model, that said alot of people still collecting them. In stock form Depends on paint scheme .Probably worth 300 -400 tops. The i drive will climb much better than other Y type frames that bobbed terribly.
    The Zaskar will have way more up to date and quality parts. Still not a full suspension. You didn't give much info on budget how much the price what you were expecting to get out of bike.if not paying too much both bikes have pretty good following and e bay is not flooded with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    depends what you are looking for. and budget the 03 i drive is quite dated as full suspensions go,and it's pretty low end model, so parts are not a as high end that said alot of people still collecting them. In stock form Depends on paint scheme .Probably worth 300 -400 tops. The i drive will climb much better than other Y type frames that bobbed terribly. Make sure shock and fork has dampening left to them.
    The Zaskar will have way more up to date and quality parts. Still not a full suspension. You didn't give much info on budget how much the price what you were expecting to get out of bike.if not paying too much both bikes have pretty good following and e bay is not flooded with them if you end up updating.
    I think you could have a blast on both of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
    depends what you are looking for. and budget the 03 i drive is quite dated as full suspensions go,and it's pretty low end model, so parts are not a as high end that said alot of people still collecting them. In stock form Depends on paint scheme .Probably worth 300 -400 tops. The i drive will climb much better than other Y type frames that bobbed terribly. Make sure shock and fork has dampening left to them.
    The Zaskar will have way more up to date and quality parts. Still not a full suspension. You didn't give much info on budget how much the price what you were expecting to get out of bike.if not paying too much both bikes have pretty good following and e bay is not flooded with them if you end up updating.
    I think you could have a blast on both of them.
    I went with the zaskar. Probably will buy the idrive as well but got a better deal for the zaskar. But now the problem is that I can't find and tech specs on it from anywhere. Like BB, seat post size, for size, etc.... 2010 GT Zaskar Elite looks to be a UK bike

mtbr member
    googled it, first couple results
    2010 GT Zaskar Expert - BikePedia
    https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-zaska...-bike-00128500

The zaskar was the way to go. Good hardtail bike with a lot of quality parts. Easily serviced rockshox fork, easy maintenance, lightweight.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    googled it, first couple results
    2010 GT Zaskar Expert - BikePedia
    https://www.evanscycles.com/gt-zaska...-bike-00128500

The zaskar was the way to go. Good hardtail bike with a lot of quality parts. Easily serviced rockshox fork, easy maintenance, lightweight.
    Yeah I got that as well but the problem its not giving me any specs on bottom bracket size or if the steerer tube is tapered or just straight whole bunch of the specs that I would really want to have because I have a bunch of parts that I'm trying to purchase for it but don't want to make a purchase if the parts don't fit the bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    for those questions,
    Headset will normally tell you if the bike is a straight or taper fork steer tube. The bikepedia link suggests a 1 1/8" straight steer tube. Sometimes you can fit a tapered fork into a zerostack style headset, but because of the shape of the frame headtube, I doubt you'd be able to. The headtube looks like it narrows down too much to do it.

shimano hollowtech 2 bottom bracket is a threaded external bearing bottom bracket, commonly found on all the mid and low level bike frames. Just about every crankset manufacturer offers a threaded bottom bracket that will work. for width,of the bottom bracket, grab a tape measure. Probably 68mm or 73mm. Benefit of hollowtech (and almost all external bearing bottom brackets), they don't care how wide your bottom bracket is because you use plastic spacers.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yeah specs are hard to find on GT or much else. A pair of cheap digital calipers will help. Seat tube may be stamped on it .95% sure fork tube is straight. Pull seat tube clean it and inner of its tube. Pull fork clean and grease bearings. The parts that weren't specific GT were very standard for the time period. back when there were standard sizes .Print what you can find fill in measurements you find out , i would be lost without a digital caliper at work and in my several hobbies. have two for when one is missing.