mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Help me identify a bike, I think it is a GT.

I think this bike is a GT, not sure though. Can anyone identify this? It is a 21 speed, I think that may help in the identification of year.

What could go wrong ...
    That would be a GT RTS from 93-95 ... if it is 21 speed and has canti brakes it is a 93

look at the back of the top tube and you will see a GT logo

and from that rear shock it is most likely an RTS 2

you can look under the bottom bracket for the serial number which will tell you the month and year it was made ... and the frame size as well
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Oh, did not know that, I'll check under the BB.

Edit: Heh, seems that the serial is covered by the rear part of the frame, and I can't really read it.
    Last edited by ExZeRoEx; 05-10-2009 at 09:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Seems like it would be hard to buy parts for this bike...

Would it be fine to replace parts with more modern parts?

banned
    You'd be well better served putting it up on a wall, and then putting the money you would put into "more modern parts" into a new bike, either a nice HT, or spending up for an FS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have an Iron Horse Warrior 3.0, this bike was kind of handed down. I am having trouble figuring out which one I would like to use as my main bike. The cost for maintenance for the GT just kind of intimidates me because I feel that it would be a lot higher.

banned
    It should intimidate you, as parts are hard to come by, if at all, and the old components on it will cost a lot to replace with newer stuff. Once done with "modern" stuff, the problems such as mismatched geometry to a newer fork remain, along with such things as the cost of replacing all that stuff with modern stuff is just about the cost of buying a complete, above-entry-level HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I know this won’t help you, but…

I must agree with JC on the cost part. Keeping a vintage rig can be a costly decision and may not do you too good unless it is your passion. Granted, older GT are still somewhat modern capable (1 1/8 head tube, bb & cranksets can be swapped out with modern ones no problem, there are some 80mm forks available, etc), but unless you ride it like a beater, it will cost you some. Just by looking at it, you’ll probably need a new fork from the get-go. Those suspensions were innovative things back then, but it won’t stack up among current design – you will notice this immediately, especially if you already have a modern design.

In my opinion, unless you are a) passionate about old bikes, b) willing to spend some $ to restore it, and c) be satisfied with what it is, then you may be in for a disappointment. [SIZE="1"]I'd sell it if I were you.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Zoke2]That would be a GT RTS from 93-95 ... if it is 21 speed and has canti brakes it is a 93 [QUOTE]

Can't be from 1993 as all the first year models had chromoly rear ends.....unless of coarse somewhere along time someone mated a newer rear end to a 93 front end.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

What could go wrong ...
    you might be correct about that ... my 93 RTS did have a CroMo swingarm
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me