mtbr member
    Sep 2008

New question here. help finding replacement forks?

i'm rebuilding a 1995ish GT Tequesta and have an old suspension fork that i'm trying to replace with a rigid fork (unless there is a top secret way to rehab an old suspension fork?) but I haven't been able to find one that has a long enough steerer tube. The headtube on the bike is a total of 8 inches long and obviously the old fork's steerer tube is longer than that. are the sizes brand-specific?

How can i make sure i don't stupidly buy one that doesn't fit?

mtbr member
    steer tube lengths of forks can be measured in inches or millimeters bit it needs to be an accurate measurement. Top of the fork crown where the headset crown race sits to the end of the steer tube. 8" seams like a very long head tube ( would have to be at least a 22" GT frame maybe even a 24" frame?) are you measuring just the frame or part of the head set too! I have original GT forks in black if you are interested PM me.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

would this one work? (link)

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.ph...cat=319&page=1

260mm = 10.25 inches (the length of my fork tube), would this work? what does it mean when it says single speeding?? does that not work with a 21 spd mountain bike