mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Good job! Hello! Getting Back in the Saddle Again!

Well I am getting back in the saddle so to speak. Have not been riding for years but now that I am in my early 30s and wanting to be more active so I am doing my favorite past time, riding bikes! I used to ride BMX bikes at around 10 or so and eventually mountain bikes as I got bigger for 5-20 miles a day before I turned 18 and it was like 5-7 days a week. I am out of the loop now and was looking on CL for a budget starter bike to get going, my last bike was a Proflex 857, yeah its been awhile so do not rag on me to hard, haha.

I just recently bought a bike off CL for $180, its a GT Avalanche 3.0 but there is one problem, I think its a ladies bike because of the decals, does not look much different then the guys avalanches I have seen, frame looks close to the same size. I probably will pass this off to my son and let him sticker it up as his bike got stolen, I can get something else but for $180 I think its okay. It does need the front derailleur replaced, the brakes were backwards but I fixed that. It does appear to have Bontrager accessories, not sure how good those are, the bars and headset, crank, seat post and tires.

I was going to remove the girly decals but they appear to be clear coated over so a repaint would be the only way to go or some stickers to cover them up. Either way I am glad to soon be back riding, now I need to look for another GT for me, I had many of them growing up in BMX, always solid bikes whether it was a Performer or Mach 1. I am just excited about getting back to biking after many years away from it and spending lots of time on other hobbies, got into drag racing cars a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello! Getting Back in the Saddle Again!-img_9319.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    welcome back!

how's your riding experience coming along?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmanuel_rn View Post
    welcome back!

how's your riding experience coming along?
    Its coming along okay, giving the Avalanche to my son, might repaint the frame or let him have some fun with stickers on it, he is only 10 so its a good bike. I am picking up a GT RTS-3 today for a $100, looks good, I will post pics when I have it. I always liked the older GT bikes, beefy bikes.

mtbr member
    Ha, I saw that on 'our' local CL. Looks like a solid bike.... post up some pics if you bring it home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    Ha, I saw that on 'our' local CL. Looks like a solid bike.... post up some pics if you bring it home.
    That is funny, will post some pics of it, looks good in the picture posted but will have to see it up close and give it a little ride but for a $100 I think its a steal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    rts...hmmm.

hope you get a good unit. good luck and please post some pics of your rts..