mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Smile Hand made Fillet brazze GT Edge road bike..

I just got this amazing bike and can not wait to learn more about it., yes I know is not a Mountain bike, but man just wait until you see the pictures is so pretty.

Fillet braze better than any old Ritchey, henry james rear drop outs, skinny Italian tubeset and so freaking light (for today and for the era it was made.) In fact is so old the steering column is One inch.

Any Information, ride experience, period correct set ups, tips, scans from catalogs are more than welcome..

pictures soon after I finish cleaning the frame.

mtbr member
    Your going to love it. Did you get a fork with it? If so chromoly or Edge Carbon? I have a 1994 (serial #5) from the first year they made them at the Tech Shop facility in Longmont, CO. Mine is French Excel tubing and incredibly light. The paint was nicked pretty bad when I got it so I stripped it and it's in epoxy primer right now waiting for me to make up my mind on the color. I have decals in black and white but can't make up my mind if I want to do it in its original fine metallic blue or Mavic yellow. GT did some support bikes for Mavic in yellow and they look great. They were built by some of today's best names in frame building. Bikepedia has all the original specs starting in 1994. 1994 was the only year the steel frame Edge was sold as a complete bike and s it was offered as a frame set only as part of GT's Tech Shop program through 1998.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Your going to love it. Did you get a fork with it? If so chromoly or Edge Carbon? I have a 1994 (serial #5) from the first year they made them at the Tech Shop facility in Longmont, CO. Mine is French Excel tubing and incredibly light. The paint was nicked pretty bad when I got it so I stripped it and it's in epoxy primer right now waiting for me to make up my mind on the color. I have decals in black and white but can't make up my mind if I want to do it in its original fine metallic blue or Mavic yellow. GT did some support bikes for Mavic in yellow and they look great. They were built by some of today's best names in frame building.
    What a Dummy I did not even look for the serial number

I guess I'm kind of blind, because i can varelly see it but i think is C4E 242

You are right I really think I stumble into a treasure I was looking at the frame at the same time I was taking it apart and cleaning it and is a master piece (and I'm being around Pott's, Goat's and ritchey's for a long time) this thing is a For real hand made bike.

here are some photos I took today.

The paint in my frame is close to perfect (for such a old bike)

The chainstay are so sexy.

Cable stop and triple triangle detail.

The detail of the welds is amazing.

Henry james dropouts so pretty.

This seat collar is Perfect.

But the Fillet GT logo is the prettiest one I have ever see.

Thanks for the great words, i keep you guys and gals inform of any updates.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto
    What a Dummy I did not even look for the serial number

I guess I'm kind of blind, because i can varelly see it but i think is C4E 242

You are right I really think I stumble into a treasure I was looking at the frame at the same time I was taking it apart and cleaning it and is a master piece (and I'm being around Pott's, Goat's and ritchey's for a long time) this thing is a For real hand made bike.

here are some photos I took today.

The paint in my frame is close to perfect (for such a old bike)

The chainstay are so sexy.

Cable stop and triple triangle detail.

The detail of the welds is amazing.

Henry james dropouts so pretty.

This seat collar is Perfect.

But the Fillet GT logo is the prettiest one I have ever see.

Thanks for the great words, i keep you guys and gals inform of any updates.
    Nice. (But your idea of near perfect paint and mine are different )
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Nice. (But your idea of near perfect paint and mine are different )
    I guess is call a Flash..

But is a Point well taken, after years of riding and trashing mountain bikes and racing motorcycles, the fact that the paint still on the frame is a good thing.

with that in mind with out the flash the paint looks really good.

I guess I own you some outdoor pictures by now.

mtbr member
    What size is that frame? 60cm. I was thinking of picking that one up but could never get the seller to put down his TV remote and pick up a tape measure and give me an honest answer.
    Patineto. The first digit of your serial number is a "9" not a "C". 94E 242 means yours was the 242nd Edge frame built in 1994. Mine is 94E 005. You gotta like that fork too...they are very nicely done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What size is that frame? 60cm.
    Center tp center is actually a 58 and the top tube is the exact same lenght
    I was thinking of picking that one up but could never get the seller to put down his TV remote and pick up a tape measure and give me an honest answer.
    Yeah He was a little strange at first but turn out to be a really cool guy full of bike passion and know how.
    Patineto. The first digit of your serial number is a "9" not a "C". 94E 242 means yours was the 242nd Edge frame built in 1994. Mine is 94E 005. You gotta like that fork too..
    So how many do they made..?
    for how many years, ???
    sizes..??

I'm just surprise that working on fancy shops for so long I never stumble into one of them, I will be a fan since the minute I touch one.
    .they are very nicely done.
    Oh yeah the forks are really impresive

mtbr member
    They were made in even center centimeter sizes from 48-62 and produced from 1994 through 1998. For the most part they were built to order. GT had a Tech Shop program for thier more advanced dealers and they had a special order from for the dealers to fill out. The only thing that was really custom was the color choice. You couldn't choose frame angles or fork rake or any of those truly custom things. Some dealers bought and stocked one frame to use as a sample to off of.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They were made in even center centimeter sizes from 48-62 and produced from 1994 through 1998. For the most part they were built to order. GT had a Tech Shop program for thier more advanced dealers and they had a special order from for the dealers to fill out. The only thing that was really custom was the color choice. You couldn't choose frame angles or fork rake or any of those truly custom things. Some dealers bought and stocked one frame to use as a sample to off of.
    Wow first of all, How do you know so Freaking much

So how much do they cost at the time..?
    Custom prices like a Ritchey, or somehow cheaper..?

For sure they are as well made if not better than most bikes of the era.

I can not even remember about them, I saw them on the magazines but I was living so far (sur America) was so much into Mountainbikes and then was not to rich (i'm still the same that way) that is not way i can afford one, so i did not look into them.

Colors...
    In my case even if this deep Black "Purplelish" is very pretty I prefer the Blue color of your bike, actually yellow and Blue Like a old GT race bike will look pretty amazing too.

Thanks again for all the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Oh one more question..

Is the rear end of this bike to "Rigid"..?

you know how everybody this days focus into the funky seatstays to tame road vibrations and Jolts, how are this frames with the "triple triangle" compare to more current designs..

Looks like the Edge is fast as hell, a.k.a. performance is paramount, or "can I have the cake and eat it too"...

mtbr member
    Why don't you hang on to it and build it up, ride it and see what you think instead of milking me for all the answers you need to bring top dollar on eBay?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I have one as well.

I love this frame. I was lucky enough to stumble upon one on ebay in 2008. I had the frame sand blasted and powder coated. I'll post some pics of it eventually. I would love to find another one.
    Ride your bike!!!!

REALLY?
    I don't ride or particularly care for road bikes...but for a fillet brazed G.T. I would probably make an exception. Very nice frame you got there.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a 50cm Blue GT Edge fillet brazed with Excel tubing. I got it new in 98 or so, it was a left over in the shop that never sold. Same Harry James drop-outs and cro-mo fork as pictured above. It fit me great and rode and handled beautifully. Unfortunately I was coming home from one of my worst weekends on the bike ever and drove into the garage with the bike on the roof. The frame folded. It was awful. I have the fork and hope to use it on a project some day. I keep checking ebay for another. Big loss and one-time mistake.