mtbr member

GTS LTS questions

A friend gave me a GT LTS DS 3000 recently. The bike is in need of repair and I have a couple questions about it. It has what I think is Rock Shox Sid XL fork on it. I was sticking really bad, so I took the legs off and cleaned it out and its smoother now. Instead of a spring it has elastomers though. There are several 1.5" to 2" elastomers held together with black plastic sticks, for lack of better terms. The fork is pretty heavy and seems to have a good amount of travel. Does anyone know anything about this fork? How much travel is this frame set up for? I was thinking 100mm seems a little on the short side, but 150mm seems long? What fork would be a good replacement for the current Rock Shox that is on the bike now? Lastly, and this is probably going to be a little out there, but could this bike handle a 29" front wheel with the proper fork? Thanks in advance!!!

Kris

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    AFAIK the fork that bike orginally came with was a RST MOZO PRO tripple clamp elastomers with air damping. If its rockshox then it will be a judy xl which has elastomers and a single 2 inch spring, the SID never had elastomers or springs.

mtbr member
    I believe my fork is the Judy XL. I remember wondering why they put such short springs in there. What was the travel of that fork? Thanks for info!

Kris

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    They went from all elastomer to spring / elastomer mix they were called type 2 springs. The travel on your fork should be 100mm.