mtbr member
    Sep 2014

GT Zaskar carbon 100 9R buying advice/question about the bike!

Hello guys,

Due to lack of reviews I found over the internet(and bad user reviews on MTBR(from 5 user reviews, 3 of them rate it/gave it 1 star from 5)), I thought I should ask some more user/owners opinion over it.

I can have a team model at a very good price but hesitate ATM because I don't know if the bike will be as good as I hope it will.

I plan to use it in XC races, XC marathon races and generally trail(and occasionally all-mountain) rides with my friends.

I do like the geometry(maybe not quite fond of the short ETT for the M size), but the HA and SA are fine, the tubes, seat and chain stays look solid; component wise, team edition is at an all time high(everything is carbon fiber);

my concerns are: suspension and pivot bearings(i've read almost only bad things about them), pedal bobbing and high head-tube(for an XCM bike); for reference, my height is 5'8" barefoot(5'8.3" with cycling shoes) and I have a preference for roomy cockpits.

I'm not sure how much time it will be on stock, because the price is awesome but, before I can commit to it, I could really use some owners advice and feedback.

thanks in advance!
    Eugen

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the Pro model from 2012 (carbon/white) I think. I'm about 5'10 and use a medium. at 5'8 you should have enough room. I also weigh 218 lbs so the bike is tough. Mine sits at 27 pounds right now and from a personal experience I really like it. I use it for XC and I'm not an easy going rider. From all the I-drives that Ive had, this is one that I haven't babied. The pivots are just fine if you know how to work on them. I have had no issues since I acquired it 2 years ago. If you're talking about the Jenson USA GT Zaskar Team deal, you cannot go wrong with that. If you're getting a better deal than that I would definitely jump on it. The only not so great thing is that it's not as quick handling as my 26er Force but a 29er wasn't meant to be. I'd say do it.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi man, thank you for your input.

So, you are telling me that, if I will 'step on it', it will go without much of power transfer loss?

As for the pivot bearings, if I pull them out, clean them and grease them regularly, they will be fine?(how often do you do that?, a couple of rides?, once a month?)

cheers,
    Eugen
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    I have the Pro model from 2012 (carbon/white) I think. I'm about 5'10 and use a medium. at 5'8 you should have enough room. I also weigh 218 lbs so the bike is tough. Mine sits at 27 pounds right now and from a personal experience I really like it. I use it for XC and I'm not an easy going rider. From all the I-drives that Ive had, this is one that I haven't babied. The pivots are just fine if you know how to work on them. I have had no issues since I acquired it 2 years ago. If you're talking about the Jenson USA GT Zaskar Team deal, you cannot go wrong with that. If you're getting a better deal than that I would definitely jump on it. The only not so great thing is that it's not as quick handling as my 26er Force but a 29er wasn't meant to be. I'd say do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Fox ProPedal shock is amazing at putting the power down. People think there's power loss because the suspension is more active. What people don't realize is that that's how the I-Drive works. In rough terrain the rear tire sticks like glue because it conforms to the trail. 2 years and I've only tKen the pivots apart 2 times. You should do it around 3 month intervals but it's a piece of cake if you're ok around tools. There's a couple of videos on YouTube on how the suspension works. I'd suggest u look it up.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    In trail mode, it is still firm enough to power through a steep, short hill/climb...or, if I need to sprint on the flat ground? - this is my "comeback" to XC races so, not figuring in any rankings(amateur, of course), I start every race on the second half of platoon; that means, I need to overtake a lot of riders...and, usually, I'm doing it on long straights or up-hill on short climbs(arriving faster in the top of the hill and also with enough speed to be able to overtake some more on the down part; that is why is so important for me this part; on mountain courses, there is another story but, I'm living in the field/hills area..and most of the races are taking place in this type of terrain - ; the reason why I ask is because, I've just sold my very active(IMO) FS Specialized(150 mm) and the pro-pedal was not what I hoped; ok, I understand that it will not be HT firm or stiff but, I don't want a bike that wobbles whenever I try to put some serious power through the pedals(it was a blast on the downs though); as for cleaning&greasing the pivots, once every three months is fine with me

my original plan was to get a HT for XC races and, in autumn, a big bike for the really big mountains(160mm FS); then, I've seen this offer and I'm willing to wait a little more for the big bike, if that means having a top of the line bike for XC and XCM; and, for the record, it is the 2014 model, not 2013...and it's actually a little cheaper than the 2013 one from Jenson. Besides being a cheaper, I'm trying to negotiate some more...and I think I might succeed; negotiated, the price will become simply awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yeah, ur correct when trying to compare a 150mm travel to the 100 you're gonna have on the Team Zaskar. The ProPedal is engineered to work with the I drive. I race mine in the Clydesdale class and on my last race I had a bad start ended up about 20 yards back of the pack. I had no problem kicking it up. Before we hit the single track about 100 yards below, I passed three guys without over exerting myself. I think the bike is very under rated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EugenM View Post
    Hi man, thank you for your input.

So, you are telling me that, if I will 'step on it', it will go without much of power transfer loss?

As for the pivot bearings, if I pull them out, clean them and grease them regularly, they will be fine?(how often do you do that?, a couple of rides?, once a month?)

cheers,
    Eugen
    I have a 2013 Zaskar Expert 100 9R. I think you will be very happy with the efficiency of the suspension design. You can learn some more from this GT marketing video (it is GT made so understand they are gong to be very positive on design):

Tuning of shock and fork will be citical of course. I upgraded the RS Reba fork internals from RL to RCT3. I could not find a happy place between good shock absorbtion and pedal platform. I am happy with the RCT3 technology. I am also going to upgrade the shock as well. Have not decided to what yet. For the racing you describe seems like remote lockouts for both fork and shock would be the most efficient/best way to go.

I agree with GT Jorgito, servicing the pivots is not a significant challenge. Many videos on You Tube but this one will give you yhe basics: (sorry would only allow me to insert one video link so you will have to copy paste this one: http://youtu.be/6ED_di6lYm8[/video)

I really like my Zaskar and love riding it. Unfortunately the various post referencing poor GT support are true. They will not provide direct support and want you to go to a GT dealer/LBS. Online technical documentation is very poor. No useful part numbers or fastener dims. When I contacted Customer Service I was told they could not provide support because that would make them libal if I did the work and something went wrong. What a joke. They should check the SRAM Customer Service portal as an example. I got the info I needed to service the pivots from You Tube and MTBR forums.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I love my 2012 pro 26er version. Same suspension design. I am also a clyde and rode it from 260 lbs down to my current 209 lbs. Its a solid bike and does a great job climbing. 100mm of travel seems plenty while riding it. The pivot bearings are headset bearings, I too have only serviced them twice in 2 years. I have just over 2,000 miles on it at the moment.

I did have trouble a couple months back when a bolt on the dogbone snapped after bottoming out on a jump (my fault, it was setup a bit soft just before this ride). Jenson was backordered for a couple weeks on the bolt set and the bushings are back ordered til June 1st last I checked. Found sone on Ebay instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I had one for a season. I think it will be perfect for what like to ride. I think its more a XC bike than a trail bike. I sold it due to frame damage (from launching myself into a rock garden) and I wanted a longer gravel trail bike. Bearings were in great shape when I sold be bike and I never had to do anything to them.

mtbr member
    I am looking at a GT Zaskar Carbon 100 9R 2014 full suspension for $1800. For a carbon complete bike it seems like a great deal.
    GT Zaskar Carbon 100 9R | 29r | 100mm travel

Anyone have experience with this model. Would the xl be good for me as a Clydesdale? I read some good reviews and some bad where the rear suspension had issues and the head tube was too high. I need all the help I can get to get the front wheel off the ground so a high head tube may be a hindrance.

Thanks in advance for any information.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well it really depends on how you ride, where you ride and how you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think you will really enjoy the Zaskar 100 for XC style riding. The 2nd gen. iDrive that was introduced in 2005 is still my favorite, even over the new AOS. No doubt, the 2014 AOS you see on the Helion, Sensor, and Force tracks better in very technical terrain but it lacks a certain "sporty" responsiveness that I like. And I own a lot of bikes with the DW-link, URT, RTS, LTS, 2nd Gen. iDrive. and AOS. Overall, the Zaskar 100 climbs really well, even in very loose and sandy terrain whereas I've seen others hike-a-bike. However, the feel of the bike is great for XC but you really require some serious skills to take this bike to a jump track or a bike park. In all seriousness, I'd rather take the LTS or short travel RTS in those cases. It's overall a stable bike.

The rear suspension is very mechanic friendly and it's easy to remove any play you might get after two years of XC racing, one enduro race and lots of trail riding at Tapeworm Trail in Renton, WA.

If you now own it or are still thinking about it, I really believe you won't regret the decision.