mtbr member
    Apr 2005

GT Xizang!, how to tell frame year? and Disc tab weld on questions...

Question… I picked up a GT Xizang LE in ’96, barley used. How do I tell what year frame it is? I think it’s a ’92 but here are my clues. It has a rear U-brake, external cable routing/bosses, and a NON replaceable derailleur hanger.

I want to get rid of the u-brake (not enough clearance for bigger tires, and its heavy), I have a local custom builder who will weld on disc tabs for $50. Should I also have him add a reinforcement tube from the seat-stay to the chain-stay in the area the disc caliper will mount? The LAST thing I want to do is mess up this frame in any way. I never plan to sell it so I’m not worried about it being non-factory.

I LOVE this bike needless to say, have had many come and go but this one will stay in my bike stable forever. I converted it to a SS 96er. I was unsure how it would handle using a 80mm (suspension compensated) rigid fork (surly 1x1), with a 29” front wheel, and a 2” riser/690mm wide bar… I was impressed, one of the best handling bikes Ive ever ridden now. Still having trouble finding a “magic-gear” for SS riding. Im in SE MI so no monster hills, currently using 34x15/16/17Anyone have any tips on that? Id like to ditch the tensioner if possible. Id be worried about having someone cut off the rear hanger/axle mounts to weld on horizontal mounts… Too intrusive I think.

Thanks in advance,

Yes, there is no tire rub on the front

mtbr member
    It's a 92 frame last year of the u-brake, The 91's were internally routed for the rear brake cable, 92's were not. My sons 92 Xizang had rear bosses added for canti/v-brakes. If you not worried about the frame. I've seen other Xizang frames that had horizontal dropout replacements for single speed set up. There was one like that on eBay last year. I think the most important thing is that you have someone who is very well versed on Ti tig welding actually do the work. I don't know that I'd have anybody slicing and dicing mine that had never welded Ti or done previous repair work on Ti. I'd have someone that's built Ti frames with Disc brake mounts actually do the work. tmho.
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sweet, thank you for the info. I am worried about the frame, but not in terms of staying 100% orig. Scott Quirring (sp?) is a pretty good builder in MI, he's done several Ti frames, so welding on disc tabs should be a walk in the park for him, he's got the full Ti welding setup as well. What do you think about a support from the seatstay to chainstay? I dont want to bend or fatigue the frame too much by using disc and the corresponding torque/moment. If I do have a support welded in she'll go to James over at Blacksheep in CO (best ti bike welder/builder in the country, IMHO). Im not sure if I want him to do a full horizontal SS setup, to big of a tear up, and prob too much $$$ (Ti fork/bar/stem before that!).

I saw you're looking for billet GT cranks. I have the set with the GT Ti BB that I took off the bike, im not sure if they're 170 or 175, but I can check if you want??

Thanks Again!
    -Brian