Thread: GT Tempest

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

GT Tempest

Hi There,
    I'm new to mountain biking and decided to start on a small economical route.
    My daily bike is a vintage original Trek hybrid.
    Recently i picked up what I believe to be a 1994 Tempest. In excellent condition. Bike doesn't appear to have been ridden very much. (photo included).
    My question is after searching around and contacting Gt there does not appear to be much information about the this particular bike. (GT was no help what so ever).
    Does anyone know if this is a stock bike or perhaps assembled from additional parts?
    I need to invest money on shifters, cables and a new chain.
    I'm just wondering if I should make any additional investments in the bike or retire it to the basement for now. I don't plan to do any serious ridding as you fellows do. Local trails and an occasional trip near local ravines.
    Any and all information is greatly apreciated.
    Thanks,
    skramer
    Attached Images Attached Images

No good in rock gardens..
    Looks like a '95 - one of my pals had the same frame, but replaced a lot of stuff on it before it was eventually stolen...

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...pest&Type=bike

The Indy fork would be later vintage - '97 maybe.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    The RS JETT fork looks like a later 90's model they put on entry level bikes(pretty decent for the time).....Bike looks in real good shape, Just get bare minimum(Seat/Post, Cables, shifters,) & derailleur adj. if necessary) Then get out and enjoy a ride....Upgrade if something breaks..