Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16

    GT STS Help!!! Brake adapter for originally equipped formula hydraulic brakes.

    Anyone know somewhere here in the USA that has this brake adapter that I need for my originally equipped formula hydraulic brake set up on GT STS DH?

    I went with V-Brakes on the front but the rear needs a adapter for new Ie. Hayes disc brakes.Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_STS_DH
    Anyone know somewhere here in the USA that has this brake adapter that I need for my originally equipped formula hydraulic brake set up on GT STS DH?

    I went with V-Brakes on the front but the rear needs a adapter for new Ie. Hayes disc brakes.Thanks in advance.
    there were two types of disc chainstays for the lts system. first one used the common chainstay with a two bolt is 2000 adapter - this is the earlier one, second is the direct mount which afaik is the original chainstay for the sts dh. this system bolts the brake sadlle directly to the chainstay since the left dropout has an integrated two holes pretty much like all nowadays dropouts. if you want to fit an is2000 brake saddle to a common lts chainstay you can use the rebuild of the original gt two bolt is2000 adapter which betd makes. however this is not an us company but perhaps nowadays global market situation allows customers to buy and sell outside the country. this is just a short hint to all "us only auctions" out there

    personally i can recommend betd since they do a good job for keeping old gts alive with their reproduction parts. as with most of those companies they hace their parts weighed in gold but perhaps its a fine idea to order their sealed bearings for the lts / sts as well to reduce shipping costs.

    heres the link:

    http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?Cate...ar+Disc+Mounts

    spare parts:
    http://www.betd.co.uk/items.asp?Cate...and+Sts+spares

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    .....

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for your help Kint!!!

    I actually emailed them and never got a response as to which adapter I need but from what I can make out the Black one is for me and the silver one is for people with for example a Zaskar that came with V-brakes that want to put a disc set up. Please correct me if im wrong lol....
    Heres my bike just incase...sucks because I wanted to keep the stock set up....



    So which one is for me the Black?



    Or the Silver?



    Thanks again! I just want to make sure before I place the order since they are not responding to my emails.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gt-heini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    41
    When you want to use the original formula brake, you cannot use one of the Betd-parts.

    This adapters are only for the IS2000-standard. The formula hydraulic brake has a special standard with other dimensions.

    If you want to use the original formula brake, you must produce it by your self. Here is my chainstay with formula-standard and an adapter to use a IS2000 brake.



    Please make a picture of your chainstay. Maybe I can help you and can give you a adress in Germany who can produce a adapter.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for your help!
    Heres an update. I sopke to someone at Betd-parts and he recommended the black adapter in my previous post. He said it bolts right on to where my caliper is now and then the new caliper will bolt on to it. Just ordered it yesterday. So I will expect it some time next week. I will update the post then.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Front Range, Colorado
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    21,334
    This is not a part of the solution to your problem but rather an opinion on the brakes.
    I had a 2000' XCR-LE that was equipped with those Formula brakes. And I could never get them to stop rubbing no matter how I shimmed them. If I had continued to ride that bike the first thing I would have done was switch out to another brand of discs or went with V's. Ironically they were the only part on the whole bike that I was disappointed with.

  8. #8
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by gt-heini
    When you want to use the original formula brake, you cannot use one of the Betd-parts.

    This adapters are only for the IS2000-standard. The formula hydraulic brake has a special standard with other dimensions.

    If you want to use the original formula brake, you must produce it by your self. Here is my chainstay with formula-standard and an adapter to use a IS2000 brake.



    Please make a picture of your chainstay. Maybe I can help you and can give you a adress in Germany who can produce a adapter.
    GT HEINI,
    I have an STS DH originally equipped with formula brakes exactly like your bike pictured. Searching for an adapter to mount IS2000 brakes (hayes). In your picture, you have an adapter like this bolted to your frame...Where can i buy one of those adapters???
    Last edited by JRB; 04-13-2009 at 10:07 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    GT HEINI,
    I have an STS DH originally equipped with formula brakes. Searching for an adapter to mount IS2000 brakes (hayes). In your picture, you have an adapter like this bolted to your frame...Where can i buy one of those???
    I got the one from BETD it was like $60 shipped.....I see one on ebay right now....put in the search tab "mtb brake adapter" $20 free shipping....wish that was around when i needed it....I still havent put mine on....gotta get some bb7's....

  10. #10
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    wow dude, I'm not seeing a "$20.00 adapter ; free shipping." all i'm seeing is "Ashima" & other adapters for upgrading to larger diameter rotors. DO you have a manufacturer name and part number on that thing?? I'm crying my eyes out over here...!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gt-heini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    41
    The Bedt-adapter is not the right. I have bought it from a German guy, who make it specally for me. You got a PM with the contact details

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    wow dude, I'm not seeing a "$20.00 adapter ; free shipping." all i'm seeing is "Ashima" & other adapters for upgrading to larger diameter rotors. DO you have a manufacturer name and part number on that thing?? I'm crying my eyes out over here...!

    http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co...ar+Disc+Mounts

    he sent me the black one after explaining our problem

  13. #13
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    formula adapter

    I have two of the betd adapters one to use and one as backup for another sts that had the correct mounting holes for that adapter. My other STS has the chainstay with holes for the original fomula brakes as in the photo....and yes, the betd adapter is not the correct fit for this frame. Didn't get that contact info on that pm sent. Try
    thanks for your help,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Last edited by JRB; 04-14-2009 at 05:56 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    I have two of the betd adapters one to use and one as backup for another sts that had the correct mounting holes for that adapter. My other STS has the chainstay with holes for the original fomula brakes as in the photo....and yes, the betd adapter is not the correct fit for this frame. Didn't get that contact info on that pm sent. Try bernaljay@hotmail.com
    thanks for your help,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jay
    so you are saying that the betd adapter is not the right adapter for the STS that comes with holes for the Formula brakes? what would be the right adapter?

  15. #15
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    I have two seatstays. #1 has the dropouots for the formula brakes and is a 1998 STS DH bike. #2 does not(.1999 STS 1. ) On the #2 seatstay (1999), originally with V brakes....the betd adapter DOES fit and I successfully mounted disc brakes to this #2 bike.

    I'm having trouble finding an adapter for the #1 bike (1998 STS DH) that has only formula brake dropouts and NO " V" brake mounts. On this bike the betd adapter is not compatible.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    I have two seatstays. #1 has the dropouots for the formula brakes and is a 1998 STS DH bike. #2 does not(.1999 STS 1. ) On the #2 seatstay (1999), originally with V brakes....the betd adapter DOES fit and I successfully mounted disc brakes to this #2 bike.

    I'm having trouble finding an adapter for the #1 bike (1998 STS DH) that has only formula brake dropouts and NO " V" brake mounts. On this bike the betd adapter is not compatible.
    Finally someone who understands....I have the #1 bike ....I explained this to the betd guy in an email that I did NOT have a setup for Vbrakes in the rear and what came on the bike were formula. I havent found out if the adapter they sent me even works....I guess I spent $60 on nothing....If this bike wasnt the "it" bike of its time I would have sold it a while ago....

    So far ive invested $900 with the adapter and a new v brake for the front...
    Last edited by GT_STS_DH; 04-13-2009 at 04:34 PM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gt-heini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    41
    I have ordered the Betd-adapter, too. After receiving it, I must see that this part is not the right one and I sent it back. The screws for fixing the Bedt part and IS2000 are M6. You need M5 screws to fix the brake at the formula standard.

    The onliest person I know who can produce the right adapter is

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/

    At "Fahrradteile" you can find many adapters for different disc brakes

    Here is my adapter

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/adapter-f...00-hinten.html

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by gt-heini
    I have ordered the Betd-adapter, too. After receiving it, I must see that this part is not the right one and I sent it back. The screws for fixing the Bedt part and IS2000 are M6. You need M5 screws to fix the brake at the formula standard.

    The onliest person I know who can produce the right adapter is

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/

    At "Fahrradteile" you can find many adapters for different disc brakes

    Here is my adapter

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/adapter-f...00-hinten.html
    that definatly looks like it will work.......I wish someone made it in the states....

  19. #19
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    brake adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by gt-heini
    I have ordered the Betd-adapter, too. After receiving it, I must see that this part is not the right one and I sent it back. The screws for fixing the Bedt part and IS2000 are M6. You need M5 screws to fix the brake at the formula standard.

    The onliest person I know who can produce the right adapter is

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/

    At "Fahrradteile" you can find many adapters for different disc brakes

    Here is my adapter

    http://www.waldmeissler.de/adapter-f...00-hinten.html
    thanks for your reply.....I'll try contacting them and see if it's possible in english since i do not speak German! good luck to me......

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    thanks for your reply.....I'll try contacting them and see if it's possible in english since i do not speak German! good luck to me......
    let me know what progress you make trying to get this part.....thanks

  21. #21
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8

    formula adapter

    Was definitely planning on it. I sent an e-mail to that guy in Germany. All i can do is wait and see.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Thanks I appreciate it!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB
    Was definitely planning on it. I sent an e-mail to that guy in Germany. All i can do is wait and see.

    I am sorry to say but I am letting her go. Thanks for the help guys. I guess im also selling that BETD adapter if anyone is interested. Heres a link to the bike. Located in Central NJ. Shes all stock like when she was new and barely ridden....

    :Updated the link below....Ebay didnt like the words "Like New" lol



    http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-STS-DH-Classi...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Last edited by GT_STS_DH; 05-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_STS_DH
    I am sorry to say but I am letting her go. Thanks for the help guys. I guess im also selling that BETD adapter if anyone is interested. Heres a link to the bike. Located in Central NJ. Shes all stock like when she was new and barely ridden....

    :Updated the link below....Ebay didnt like the words "Like New" lol



    http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-STS-DH-Classi...3A1%7C294%3A50
    Well the bike did not sell.....It is still avaliable for $750 if anyone is interested....Some guy from europe really wants it bad but is taking a while to respond. thanks

  25. #25
    JRB
    JRB is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8
    Saw that. After your sale was done someone else posted an STS DH 16 in. frame only. i thought that might be yours. I was surprised to see there was not alot of interest in your bike, they're such great bikes. Try relisting it after all the other gt frames are gone. also consider listing the frame only. Keep an eye on the bidding for the other Dh frame now up for sale on ebay...be patient. that frame should command a good price.........................Jay , San Diego

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •