mtbr member

GT specific cable housing/guides? (skinny)

So, I'm making progress on rehabbing the 1994 Corrado I picked up, but it has a bunch of non-standard cable routing, a lot of it run through the skinny non-lined housings GT seemed so fond of back in the day. The ones that were on there are brittle and some of them are busted up, so I need to replace them, including a long run down one of the seat stays for the rear derailleur.

What do y'all replace these with? Any sources, or what is the proper name for these so I can search them out online?

Many thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I haven't resurrected any of my old GT's yet so I haven't tried to fix these items but I would try any DIY/Home depot. Look into plastic tubing...something real stiff is prob best...use liberal heat to form tube, My guess is that there is nothing that special about it, just a matter of finding tubing with the same I.D and O.D. and the find something stiff enough to do the job....some laboratory supply places on the net may even send you samples (prob enough to do the entire job)...just tell them your an engineer working on a new R&d project.

mtbr member

I had started a thread over on Bike Forums about this as well. Here's the skinny on the skinny housings:

Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    What you need is cable liner which is just the thin tubing that was used inside unlined housing in the past. Shimano sells it in small coils (~2 meters) and any bike shop either has it in stock or can get it.

However, it's mostly to protect exposed inner wire from dirt and to keep it from scratching the frame and isn't essential for functioning.
    and;

Quote Originally Posted by techsensei View Post
    ...in some cases though, such as where GT would route cable around seat tubes using just liner, you should indeed replace those pieces. Amazon.com: Jagwire Black Housing Liner 30 Meter Roll, Fits up to 1.8mm Cables: Sports & Outdoors
    I still need to swing by my LBS and see if they have some of this I can take off their hands. I should do that this week as my last wave of parts is arriving in the mail and the bike would be close to be going together if I wasn't tied up with school, work, and a couple of events this month. I'll report back in with how it went using what I get, when I manage to get to it in a few weeks!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model