mtbr member
    May 2014

GT Sensor Expert fork upgrade.

I'm in the process of building a backup bike and am doing so by using all the extra parts that I have laying around that I've upgraded on my Sensor. What fork would you suggest upgrading to from a Rockshox Sektor Gold RL 130mm. Also, would you go with a 140 or a 150 over the 130? All of the new Sensors come with a 140 and there are a few that have the 150. I am getting into some freeriding and don't want to change bikes. With the drops and jumps at our local trail system (Scales Lake). and and possible trips to some major bike parks, I want something that will do both very well.

What would be your fork of choice?

mtbr member
    I have a Sensor too. Had the Sektor set at 150 on mine from new and have since upgraded to a 150mm Pike and I'm very happy. On first ride I instantly noticed a more rigid fork that is plusher than the Sektor ever was.

Should also consider fox 34/36 and other options too though.

mtbr member
    I also have the Pike at 140mm. I have not ridden anything where the fork could not handle it. I have not ridden flat out DH tracks.

mtbr member
    rockshox Revelation or Pike.

I've never heard a bad thing about the Pike, so that's probably what I'd use for DH sort of stuff.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

cowbell
    Buddy of mine has a 160mm Suntour Auron(?) travel adjust on his. Set to 130 for trail stuff, pop it up when things get gnarly, and it really handles some sick stuff very well.

mtbr member
    Manitou Mattoc. If you are jumping and hitting lots of big things, this fork is perfect for that. The Hydraulic bottom out (HBO) prevents bottom out and gives the fork a bottomless feel.

Easy to adjust from 120-160mm.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nice option too so many good forks in this category its really difficult to go wrong with any of them. It's more down to personal differences.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    What about a fork with external travel adjustment?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jglenn6 View Post
    I'm in the process of building a backup bike and am doing so by using all the extra parts that I have laying around that I've upgraded on my Sensor. What fork would you suggest upgrading to from a Rockshox Sektor Gold RL 130mm. Also, would you go with a 140 or a 150 over the 130? All of the new Sensors come with a 140 and there are a few that have the 150. I am getting into some freeriding and don't want to change bikes. With the drops and jumps at our local trail system (Scales Lake). and and possible trips to some major bike parks, I want something that will do both very well.

What would be your fork of choice?
    X fusion sweep or slant. An ebay seller has a great deal on the slants..I believe only 279- a steal for a really good fork. Personally I would go 140mm and no higher- I like the bike's characteristics too much to make too much of a change.. but that's just me. Good luck.

Cactus Cuddler
    It'll be hard to beat a used Pike for value. Probably impossible actually.

On the newer side, the X-F Sweep, Manitou Mattoc, ST Aion/Auron are all worth looking at, depending on price, but a used Pike is going to be really hard to beat.