mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. GT Sensor Elite (2013) Used-Worth buying?

Hey all. I am looking at buying a used 2013 GT Sensor Elite. Asking price is about $1200.00, feel confident I can buy somewhere between $950-$1,000.00. Here are the specs as listed at Vital MB: 2013 GT Sensor 9R Elite Bike ? Reviews, Comparisons, Specs ? Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB.

The bike lists new for $2,200.00. Jenson is selling them on line for $1,439.99. The local retailer/importer has them listed for the equivalent of US$2400.00. Any opinions thoughts on this bike would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I bought a new 2012 Sensor 29er Elite in the fall of 2012. No regrets at all. I'd say go for it. The asking price is fair, but you should be able to get it for a little less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    I bought a new 2012 Sensor 29er Elite in the fall of 2012. No regrets at all. I'd say go for it. The asking price is fair, but you should be able to get it for a little less.

Thanks. the seller listed it for sale 1 week ago, and I am going to take the chance and let it sit on line for a while longer. I am taking into account that I will swap the brakes out immediately. I had the Avid Elixer 1 brakes on my last bike, and I hated them, as they had the Avid "squeal". The seller is located in a remote place, and I don't think that it will sell in a hurry, as it is a long drive there and back just to see it.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    It's a great bike IMO. I've got a 2012 Elite and couldn't be happier. I'm 225 and have put the bike through hell on some pretty serious knar in TX and CO and have no complaints. I rented one in Park City UT with the CTD shock. I think that is a great shock for the bike, because you can just put it in "D" all of the time for a plush ride, but it will still pedal great.

I'm still amazed at how well the rear suspension works when pedaling. I recently went 1x10 and have been doing a lot of standing and mashing in the higher gears. Even with the shock wide open, I'm feeling zero loss from the rear suspension when hammering it.

I was set to get a Mach 429 until I rode the Sensor, if that says anything about how much I like it.

Agreed on the Elixers, I tried everything but could not get mine to stop honking. I put on XTs and have peace and quiet ever since.

GT apparently is not making the sensor 9r any longer. For 2014, the Sensor is available in 27.5 only. It's not a well-known bike, so I doubt the seller will have a bunch of people beating down his door to buy it. Money talks, so I'd start with a low offer and see where it goes. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply, Jackl. The XTs are definitely the brakes I intend to install. If it did well in TX and CO, it will do fine here. Interestingly enough, the local importer/dealer was running a sale on the entire Sensor 29r line-Pro, Expert, Elite. When GT announced in the fall that the 29 Sensor series would be discontinued, as they were moving the entire line to 27.5, the importer promptly jacked up the price on the 2013 AND on the remaining 2012 models. They are charging full MSRP plus VAT of 18% and won't budge on the prices.

The seller in this case is at exactly $1200.00, and I plan to lowball it and am willing to go to $1050.00 if need be. As you say, money talks, and I will arrive with cash in hand. Thanks again for your post.