Thread: GT Sensor

mtbr member

GT Sensor

I have made the decision to get a full suspension bike, and I have my eye on the 2010 GT Sensor 3.0. I know it's a new bike for this year, but there seems to be very little information about it on the web. So if you own or ridden one of these bikes, maybe you could chime in with your opinions or information. I'm interested in weight differences between sizes and models. Pictures or videos of them in the wild. Perhaps upgrades or improvements you've done to the bike. Any information will help. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Here is a picture of a Matte Silver 3.0 (Medium) I found on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Why not check it out at performance first hand

mtbr member
    I live Houston, and my Performance doesn't stock them regularly. So I will have to order mine first before I actually get to sit/ride on one which I'm okay with. I don't really need any convincing on the bike because I've already made up my mind. It was really a no-brainer because I wanted an entry-level full-suspension XC/Trail bike, and the Sensor is the only one GT sells. I was more or less just trying to see what kind of forum following there was on the Sensor, but as of now it seems not many people have much to say about them.

mtbr member
    not much of a following yet - as it is a new model and they are just hitting stores.

should take similar upgrades as the force. i would look at fork and brakes first for upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    CT19,

I work at performance on westhiemer and hillcroft and we have a sensor 2.0 in the shop. Come on in and take a look.

mtbr member
    scpeters - I actually already ordered my 3.0, and it's being delivered to your store today. So hopefully all goes well with the delivery and assembly, and I will see you later this afternoon.

mtbr member
    My sensor arrived today. It's a Small and Burnt Orange (It's more like matte regular orange though). I love it! I used to ride a 1996 GT Outpost. So riding this just feels like I'm riding on a cloud. I will post more pics once I put on the new parts (pedals, bar, stem and grips) and decals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    nice bike!!!!

mtbr member
    good looking ride!

let us know your riding impressions, we are all curious to see if the creaking issue has been solved with the new pivot design.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Once I get more miles on the bike, I will report back on the creaking.

I just weighed it this morning, and the stock weight is approximately 32.8lbs. I'm not a weight weenie, but I would like to eventually get the bike in the mid-20's without spending an arm and a leg. I am open for suggestions on how to make that happen.

mtbr member
    Take the reflectors off, thats a start. But seriously bike looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Haha. Yeah the reflectors, grips and pedals came off right after I took that picture. Just waiting on my bar and stem...

My gloves stink

Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by ct19
    I would like to eventually get the bike in the mid-20's without spending an arm and a leg.
    Good luck with that! You're probably gonna have to spend an arm and two legs to shed 7-8 lbs. Unless you're a seriously competative racer, why bother?
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

FKA Malibu412
    ... I would like to eventually get the bike in the mid-20's without spending an arm and a leg. I am open for suggestions on how to make that happen.
    Acid dip the frame. Just don't leave it in the brew too long,
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. Once I get more miles on the bike, I will report back on the creaking.

I just weighed it this morning, and the stock weight is approximately 32.8lbs. I'm not a weight weenie, but I would like to eventually get the bike in the mid-20's without spending an arm and a leg. I am open for suggestions on how to make that happen.
    Component spec is low on a 3.0, leaving much room for improvement as well as weight reduction. Start anywhere you like.

mtbr member
    After riding the bike for a week, weight hasn't really been an issue. So I've decided to hold off on spending money on weight reductions for the time being.

Stage 1 is complete:
    - TruVativ Hussefelt 60mm stem
    - TruVativ Hussefelt 40mm riser bar
    - ODI Rogue grips
    - Wellgo LU-987 pedals (cheap REI ones)
    - chainstay protector
    - removed all reflectors and unnecessary stickers
    - custom vinyl stickers

I'm experimenting with stem heights before I cut my steerer, and I might change up a few stickers here and there.

Minor gripes:
    - No creeking yet, but I do get clicking when I pedal hard.
    - Brakes are sufficient, but I wish the levers were more one-finger friendly. With my new bar I can't get them over far enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Minor gripes:
    - Brakes are sufficient, but I wish the levers were more one-finger friendly. With my new bar I can't get them over far enough.
    Have to get new shifters without the gear indicator window so you can run the brakes inboard of the shifters. If you tried the swap now you'd probably think the shift levers are too far out.

mtbr member
    I didn't want to spend more money on new shifters, so I went the cheap bastard route. I took some wire cutters and just trimmed off the indicator. Now the shifter fits between the grip and brake handle. It's a suitable solution for now.

mtbr member
    elixirs are great one-finger brakes....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You cheap bastard. You.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

GT sensor 3.0 CREAK!!!! and shifting issues..

This bike started out sweet, now It keeps creaking in the crank(already had it tightened) Broke the chain when the rear derailer started slipping(no mechanic in town can seem to figure out the problems) has anyone had the same issues?

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Mag32 fork?? WTF? Looks like something that'd come stock on a Walmart bike.

Couldn't they have thrown a coil Tora or something on it and charged $50 more?