mtbr member
    Oct 2009

GT Sanction/Force sizing

After looking through all the sizing threads I am still confused on what size I should be looking at. I am 6ft and going to use the bike for all mountain type riding.

The reason I am having such a hard time is I have primarily been DH for the last 8 year. I just sold my medium demo 8 and my medium sx trail and I am looking to consolidate to just one bike. I was looking at a specialized enduro but after seeing the price difference it seems that I can get a much better spec'ed GT for a lot cheaper then the entry level enduro and to be honest I am ready to part ways with specialized all together.

Like most my riding preferences change and now that I live in flagstaff arizona i am less then an hour from sedona where there is alot of nice xc trails and in flagstaff we have a little bit of everything. So im really interested in the sanction for its all around riding ability but I would still like to ride some of the dh stuff as well as pedal it around the trails. So if anyone has some input on whether to stay with a medium or go up to a large would be appreciated. Thank you
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

Chamois Dropper
    I'm 5'8 -5'9 and happy on my medium Force, if that helps.......
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im 6 foot and ride a med samction with a 55mm stem and 750mm wide bars.

the sanctions are a wee bit longer in the top tubes for each give size over the force

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Herb1234-- I was thinking about the medium with a 50mm stem or a large with a 40mm stem. Obviously I like short cockpits but i know you want room when pedalling.
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Olie12 View Post
    Herb1234-- I was thinking about the medium with a 50mm stem or a large with a 40mm stem. Obviously I like short cockpits but i know you want room when pedalling.
    Part of it has to do with what type of handlebar you use.Alt bars like this one have a lot of sweep, so they will bring you hands closer...allowing the top tube to be longer.
    Nashbar Comfort Mountain Bike Handlebars - Mountain Handlebars

I usually use a large frame, but I'm building a XL Sanction frame because I plan to use a 100 mil 29er fork and 29er wheel up front...making it into a "96er."
    The longer top tube will help to extend the big wheel out further to eliminate "toe overlap",while the alt bar will bring the bar back in range with the addition of a short stem.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I plan on using a set of renthal dh bars, I have used them on other bikes and i like them I plan to cut them down to about 740
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Olie12 View Post
    I plan on using a set of renthal dh bars, I have used them on other bikes and i like them I plan to cut them down to about 740
    Olie-two questions...
    Do you know what size rear shock the 2009 sanction 3.0 uses?
    And do you know where to get the dogbone "flexbones" for the Sanction and the 2009 Marathons? I hear it's good to ride with a spare because they fail after a while.(at least i hear the marathons do).
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the dogbones on a marathon are different to the ones on a sanaction. You would have to do some thing super dumb to wreak a sanction dogbone. the bushes in them to wareout but they can be replaced.

the sanction uses a 190mmX50mm/7.5"X2" shock, the stock tunes are low rebound and ether a low or med com tune depending on year.

olie by the sounds of it ether would work for you, i like the med but my one beef with it is that i have to have my KS post a wee bit above the min mark when climbing.
    great frames are just looking to reshock mine once i have worked out what i want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Herb, I was going to ask you what seat post you were using but you answered for me. I probably will be running same seat post so a tiny bit above the min mark is ok with me the frame looks pretty beefy with the added support from the top tube to the seat tube.
    My last and final question is besides the head tube supports what is the difference between the force and sanction? Can I get the sanction 12x142 dropouts for the force frame?
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the geo and rear shock depending on the year. The sanction is way slacker. 66 ha vs 69 ha.

i had a force and a sanction now i just have a sanction which will should tell you which one i like.
    the force frame is about 0.5 pound lighter than a sanction but some of that is if the sanction has a dhx air on it vs the RP23.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Sanction/Force sizing-snaction.jpg  

MTBR Member since 2001...
    Correct sizing is easy to determine. It comes down to proper stand over height and how much clearance you prefer between your knees and the bars while pedaling.

Stem length and bar sweep/rise (changes) should be used for fine tuning and maximizing comfort. Buy a size that feels most comfortable to you during a demo ride, then make the tweaks others mentioned.
    Last edited by shadowsports; 08-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others