Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

GT Sanction and Force reference thread

I've been using the MTBR forums to both post and receive info on these bikes. They are new to the market and as such they have their little quirks. Let's share and talk about them here.

So far my personal experience with the bike has been one of amazing performance but with a few mechanical issues that are easily solved. I'll list here:

1. Rock Shock Lyrik oil leak-Sanction- Not limited to GT owners, this 2-Step fork has complex internals and as such has developed a leaky reputation in the Mission Control leg. SRAM is currently backordered on these because of it. While I've probably lost a few cc's of oil, it's not been enough to deter me from riding it, in fact I just took it to Mammoth and it was awesome. I'm waiting to hear from Performance as to when my parts come in.

2. Main Pivots- There are actually two large pivots just above the bottom bracket and these have a tendency to come from the factory a bit loose. This causes noise that can be mistaken for the bottom bracket. I had Performance tighten them up as it takes a special tool or ghetto tool (a QR skewer with two stem top caps to hold the main inner section together while tightening the outers with a free wheel tool.) No problems since.

3. Rear Dropouts- The rear drop outs are completely separate from the frame which is nice if you break one. However, these can produce noise which can also be mistaken for BB noise. Simple remove, clean, and lube the contact areas as well as the allen screws with something like anti seize or Poly lube 1000, etc. No problems since. I anxious to see how long it lasts. It was so easy to do though I think it could be part of the regular "deep clean" process.

4. Brake noise- common with any bike with semi-metallic pads, these XT brakes can be noisy. I simply replaced the fronts with the XTR pads which have more organic material in them and they brake just as well.

5. Seat quick release- Nothing major here but if you like to adjust your seatpost on the fly, the GT QR clamp will not hold it's position. Once released, there is no tension on the clamp and it just falls. I simply replaced this with a Salsa clamp which is much better.

6. 11-32 cassette- I just noticed that GT specs out an 11-34 cassette yet mine came with an 11-32. Believe me, this does make a big difference when pedaling a 33lb bike! I'll inquire with Performance.

7. 32T front Chainring-Sanction only- This is simply not kosher. You'll be spinning out before you know it. I've since switched to a 36T front and it's perfect. Blackspire makes one for $25. The only problem is, it's sticks out beyond the bashguard.

Mods I've really enjoyed thus far:

-Monkey Lite high rise carbon bar
    -I tried the Sun Race 50mm stem but went back to the stock Thompson 70mm elite for more cockpit room. I switch back to the Sun Race when doing bike parks.
    -Stan's tubeless. Reduced rolling weight and better sidewall traction really help this heavier bike.
    -SDG Team I-Beam Saddle- Lighter and cool looking but not as comfortable as the WTB
    -Shimano M424 pedals- I don't know how any one likes those CB Acids. They seemed noisy.
    -Lizard Skins Oversized chainstay guard- the chainstay gets whacked pretty hard so it's a neccesity
    -Blackspire Stinger- this chain will derail with some of the bit hits it can take and this little item for $30 really helps.

That's it! Hope this helps some folks out as I've had to search long and wide on some of this stuff!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great info Ehansen. My creak went away with the rear dropout lubing and the bottom bracket pivot point tightening. So far no noise. I'm very satisfied with my Force 2.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another small difference I noticed was the headset. The GT site says my bike should have a FSA Orbit headset. It looks like an orbit but it says cane creek??? Good thread!

mtbr member
    Had major creaking/cracking noise with my GT Force 3.0. Took it back to the original bike shop and they had no idea how to fix the issue other than to try and grease the bottom bracket. Took it out after the greasing and the noise was less frequent and not as loud for about the first two hours I rode and was then back again as bad as ever.

So I took it to Performance, since they sell GTs, and one of the mechanics was familiar with the issue. Sounds like the problem is something with the two pivot points that they fixed at no cost since the bike is still under waranty. So far no creeking/cracking at all. The mechanics at Performance are my new best friends. I'll update and let everyone know if the noise returns or if it was a fix.

Other than the noise problems (which are hopefully gone now) I've had no issues with my GT Force.

underestimate me
    hey, SoMo, can you please post results after that mechanic and ask him what really cause creaking? It'll be very helpful (assuming noise is coming from pivots) to fixing that in future.

I believe it BB pivot link (may be shims with bearings or so). I can't find it by myself though I've rebuild pivots.

Thanks.
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

mtbr member
    I'm going for a ride today and plan to bash on the bike pretty hard. If there is no creaking it will be the first time since I bought the bike since even after the last tune-up it still creaked right out of the shop. If the noise is gone, I'll call and ask the mechanic what he did and post it on here.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I went for two long rides in the desert this weekend and....

....not one single creak. It was perfect, wonderful, beautiful, music to my ears, silence the entire time. Completely fixed. My bike didn't even begin to make noise after four straight hours of mashing through hot, dusty, rocky desert terrain.

When I find out what the mechanic did to my bike I'll post the solution.

underestimate me
    Glad to here it
    Yesterday I've rebuild bottom link with new bearings and grease but still creaking.

So it or dogbon or swingarm link. And I'm waiting for your solution how to back it to normal condition. I'm looking forward for your post
    "We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SoMo Addict
    IWhen I find out what the mechanic did to my bike I'll post the solution.
    I really need to know. details?

mtbr member
    If you want to call and talk to the mechanic yourself I took the bike to Performance Cycles in Chandler Arizona and the shop manager is the one who worked on my bike.

He did an awesome job. My bike hasn't felt so nice to ride ever.

Talked to someone from the shop. They said that because parts of the bike are made of carbon, a special type of lube needs to be used on the bike to make sure the lube doesn't dry out in the pivot points because these are constantly being worked when riding the bike. The lube is some sort of heavy teflon like lube with carbon micro balls or something like that? The creaking noise was coming from the pivot points and reapplying this kind of lubricant in there was the fix. It isn't the normal lubricant they use for most bikes. They asked me to just come down there with my bike and they would show me where to lube my bike if it happens again and that they sell this special teflon like lube.

I hope you all know what this stuff is they are talking about. I don't.
    Last edited by SoMo Addict; 09-22-2008 at 08:01 PM.

underestimate me
    First of all: carbon parts?
    I thought you've force3 which completely alu?

I'm afraid that call to that mechanic can cost me at least half of new frame as I'm living on different side of our planet

So, as I take a look a little bit deeply at my Idrive5 and find some time (and of course, motivation ) to rebuild pivot on swingarm, main reason of creaking is dirt/mud/etc in pivots.
    As I've changed bearing in this pivot (as grease well) and clean it from dirt (frame ran about 1.5 year) and take it to little test drive - no creaking! ta-dam!

In short, for Alu frames of GT suspension cleaning and regreasing should help to avoid almost all annoying sounds. Don't know anything about carbons frames (haven't it).
    I've used Motorex Bike Grease 2000 for pivots and new bearing kit (4 bearings) for Force/Sanction from my LBS.

But, SoMo_Addict, thanks for support and explaining your solution - it'll help somebody else, i'm sure!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear its not creaking! Makes riding so much more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have been riding a Sanction 2.0 frame for 2 weeks. The most horrific creaking I have ever heard. So bad I can feel it through the pedals. It is a warranty frame with all of my old parts. Old frame didn;t creak, definetly the frame. Sounds like the thing is going to break in half, snap crackle pop! type sounds with force on the pedals. Bike shop has no clue, I am afraid to let them touch it anyways after watching them mess with it a little today. All they want to do i over tighten everything and make sure the pedals are lubed. Please, give me the number of that performance shop!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    any GT dealer should know what you are talking about. This is not uncommon. Tell them to service the I-drive pivots. Your issue is described exactly like mine, now completely gone. Pret at Performance Bicycles in Chandler AZ does the work here. You can look it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I just got an email back from GT and they acknowledged that this is a common problem. They told me to use an anti seize compound on the threads in the pivots. Going to try that with some optimism, as it sounds like others have solved the problem. I will post my results. Frame rides great though. Loving it on the downhill when I don;t have to listen to it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I thought I would ask here. I use an ETA fork that i can lock down for climbs, on other frames it seems like a real benefit.

On this frame, with fork locked down, I notice that the bike feels distinctly more difficult to pedal. Am I imagining this? Is it a geometry thing with independent drive mechanism? Anybody else experiencing this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the exact same setup. I use the ETA lockdown for steeper climbs only. It seems essential for that with the head angle not being exactly xc oriented. I find that it pedals fine, but if there are obstacles and its not super steep, I find it way more economical to climb with the fork extended. I probably keep my shock sag less than most people too though.

Shred all that can be
    post. sorry need to keep this relevant (getting a new santion frameset!!!)
    "This sticker is dangerous and inconvienent, but I do love Fig Newtons"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    after 2 months creek free, it has come back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I can no longer recommend this frame, the creaking is just too crazy. A servicing (under warranty) got rid of it for awhile, but it came back with vengeance. Probably the last GT I will own, this my third GT frame in 12 years.

To make matters worse, after being told to bring the bike in for another warranty servicing, I spent 3 days without it. I returned on my promised day, only to find out that they never touched it. Never called me or tried to communicate. They now wanted to charge me $80, and put me without my bike for another week. Sparing the details, in less than a minute, I was treated with less dignity than I have ever experienced by a service related shop.

Performance bikes, Chandler AZ.

IF ANYONE EVER uses this bike shop, do not be taken in by the manager, Lance. This guy is the snake from hell. About as slippery as they get...this "boy" really needs to reconsider the uniform he wears to work, because customer serviice is NOT his calling. I wouldn't hire him to manage my sons toybox. By the time he was done with me I felt lucky to still have the bike...so I took it home unfixed rather than yielding to his trickery.

I have spent maybe $5000 over 10 years at this store (granted it used to be supergo), and after this experience I will never return, or recommend it while it holds the same name. I am one of those people that gets very angry when treated like an idiot that just emerged from the incubator.

As for the Force/Sanction, perhaps someone who has figured out GT's design flaw, could post a tutorial on how to remedy it, assuming it can be fixed. My frame began creaking inside the warranty, and GT is not going to take care of this "pre-existing" condition. If you are thinking about getting one, give it some careful thought. These were some of my main concerns when purchasing a Pacific Bikes frame, and so I can't say I am surprised, it is what it is, a post-bankruptcy compromise. I love it as long as I don't have to pedal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I, for one, am extatic about my Force 2.0. I had some creaking after I bought it. I went and took the rear dropouts out and lubed them with a water resistant lube (white lithium grease). I did the same for all the pivots in the i-d suspension/ bb area. I went ahead and also put an extremely light coating on the seat tube. Enough not to make it slippery but to quiet it down. This was over three months ago and it is still going strong. Everything is tight and no creaking. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are MasterP, but when it comes to doing creak maintenance I don't trust anyone but myself eventhough my Local shop is pretty awesome. I'm in Oklahoma City and if you were any closer I would have loved to help you with your problem, cuz a creak is not fun to have, but to give up on a great bike because of it, is just not right. If you have the time and the ability to do so, I would start with lubing the rear dropouts and nothing else, then move to the seatpost, then the bottom bracket and pivot areas. I would do one by one until you find the creak. If you ever make it to Oklahoma let me know, maybe I can help you out. If I ever visit my cousins in Phoenix and you haven't given up on the bike then I'll let you know and maybe I can help you out. I'm sure the creaking will come back. When it does, I'll take out my lithium grease tube and do it all over again, but I love working on bikes so that's not a problem to me. I even work on my buddy's beaten up Jamis bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have built several bikes, I won't give up on it. My remarks are more about dealers, ethics etc. Nothing nags at me worse than someone who won't follow through on a promise, then somehow finds a way to blame you for their decision to be a meathead. If I conducted myself this way in life, I would still be working the paper route I started 30 years ago.

These specific bikes appear to have very specific creaking in the main pivots. You have to pull the whole bike apart to do it. It's a high labor item thus far, you have to remove the cranks just to get to them. It's a whole lot more painful than regular maintenance. If it was once a year, no complaints. But in our dust, every 6 weeks?

Oh, and thanks for the offer. C'mon down, its good riding hear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is there a simple bike stand that i can attach to a workbench? One that holds the seat post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't know about the bike stand MP2. I bought a stand alone bike stand from minoura 3 years ago and it still works well. I'm glad you're not giving up on the bike man. Oklahoma can get pretty dusty sometimes. Our trails are a mix of hardpack and sand. Sometimes after a good rain, you can find sand and mud just a few feet from each other. On your creaking problem, I'd say start trying different greases. The lithium has worked well for me this past summer, even in a sandy year. It sucks when you can't count on dealers to be honest and fair with you. I'm lucky to have a great bike shop that helps me out. I still do most of my maintenance on all my rides unless it's something that requires more knowledge or tools than what I have. I wish you the best and I hope you find the culprit on your creaks and fix it. I would think even some type of teflon grease may help you out. I guess water proof isn't really that important in Arizona huh? If I ever make it to AZ. I'll look you up bro.

GT J

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had the creaking problem with my IDXC 1.0, a month after I bought it in 2006. I brought it to a shop to fix it. After a week the creaking was back again. So I decided to service the bike of my own. I bought the necessary tools and with the help of a friend I took the bike apart. I did everything gt jorgito described and I took a lot of grease. The result was no creaking for two years.

This year in August I bought a sanction 1.0. Before the first ride, I took it apart and greased everything. No creaking till now.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast