Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    On the topic of creaking, I found the source on my Zaskar 100 which likely would affect all of our idrives I imagine, the shifter housing routed atop the BB shell was the source of noise on my bike. I ended up adding a dab of grease to the housing and noise immediately gone...I will likely redo that cable soon as there is a lot of friction when shifting.
    "save a plant, eat an animal"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    some really great ideas here....wish I found these forums a while back...been struggling with the creaking....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    Check out post #712, I even posted some pics waaaay before in case anyone wants to see pics of what your talking about.
    really liked your fix...I posted up way before i go through all the posts.... wish I'd have seen your fix...very neat ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    you can't really say things are design flaws though...designs improve constantly as we strive for better designs...know what I mean?
    There's always room for improvement.We look at things that could be made better and try to make them better.It happens all the time.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone have experience replacing the stock 12mm x 135mm rear dropouts with 12mm x 142mm ones on a GT Sanction?

My bike (2009 GT Sanction 3.0) is currently sized for a 12mm x 135 mm rear wheel. I would really like to upgrade to a 12mm x 142 mm wheel. I know the dropouts are replaceable, but does anyone here have any experience doing this? Is it possible? Where did you buy the new dropouts. I am going to give Performance Bike (local GT dealer) a call and potentially GT themselves later this morning. I will post what they say, but I was just curious if anyone had some first hand experience.

This is a great thread, I will have to read it in more depth when I get some more time, as I have a Sanction 3.0 and really like some of the upgrades other users have made.
    Last edited by CO_Ben; 04-08-2013 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Question : What if GT released a revised drop-out for the Force/Force Carbon, would they be able to alter the geometry in a positive way (ie. the people looking for slacker headtube, longer wheelbase and lower crank)?

Specifically, I'm interested if increasing wheelbase would affect headtube angle. I'm guessing yes.

I've been thinking about this for a little while. See, my old trusty Scott Gambler has optional read dropouts which alter the axle placement either further or closer to the rear triangle. It also had several placements/holes for the rear shock AND angleset headset.

Since the carbon frame can't accept angleset headsets and offset bushings for the rear shock only has little effect, would my solution work?

Better yet, what if this is actually part of the new GT 650B prototype Atherton has been spotted riding........see the pictures. The front tri appears to be carbon but the rear seems to be alu.

Prototype GT 650B Enduro Mountain Bike Spotted Under Dan Atherton - Bike Rumor

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Feelin' a bit better about my sanction 3.0 frame now.It's a size up from what I usually ride (it's an XL).
    I think I can get my hands around it if I build it right...and I'm not feeling as bad as I did a while ago when I was sick.
    ...I feel stronger now.
    I better be...this bike is a beast.
    Definitely not for the squeemish.
    Hulkbike INC.
    I always wanted an All Mountain bike after seeing some of those extreme videos.
    Glad I got my health insurance in order.
    HAHA
    Z
    A 60 year old guy with a prosthetic foot on a All Mountain GT Sanction.
    ...HAHAHAHA
    ...OK.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

1x10 Finally!!!

Update on my Force 3.

Bonafide 1x10 now! HAHA No more (fixed) FD + Stinger!!!

Also swapped my 750mm bars for 810mm DH bars. HUGE difference. (Read up on my blog:Why Go Wide? The Argument for Wider Bars. | Aim for Harkor)

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-vlcsnap-2013-04-13-22h19m35s58.jpgGT Sanction and Force reference thread-img_1859.jpgGT Sanction and Force reference thread-vlcsnap-2013-04-13-22h17m30s78.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sick setup, man. Looks like you're running a Monarch Plus, what are your thoughts?

I'm likely going 1x11 this week... Got my XX1 setup on Friday, pretty pumped. I'll post pics when I'm done, assuming I hit 10 posts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSpecialK View Post
    Sick setup, man. Looks like you're running a Monarch Plus, what are your thoughts?

I'm likely going 1x11 this week... Got my XX1 setup on Friday, pretty pumped. I'll post pics when I'm done, assuming I hit 10 posts.
    Yup, Monarch plus. I love it. Feels amazing and I've never bottomed it out - considering there have been on a couple of rides that I've had the sag a little over 30% and I did several small jumps and drops along the way.

My friend who had the monarch on his Turner sold it to me, he didn't like it on his bike. He tried my GT and loved how the iDrive and the monarch just worked together. The compression makes a HUGE difference especially on long road or fire road climbs. Landing from jumps or drops feels great versus the stock X Fusion shock it had before - I keep it on the lowest setting.

I'd love to try the 1x11. I'm a weak climber but I still prefer the 1x10 setup. It's just so simple and I love how I can just focus on my reverb rather than the FD. haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Good job! Force + XX1

Finally got my XX1 up and running. Here's a picture of the set up.

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-afterxx1install.jpg

Had my first test run today. I was worried about the range, especially while climbing, even though everything I read said it shouldn't be a problem. I was pleasantly surprised when the climb went better than I expected and had to stop due to my lungs rather than not being able to pedal. absolutely NO chain slap whatsoever. I can probably take the ghetto stay protector off, since I'm pretty sure I have no need for it. set up was easier than I expected and shifting was smooth as well, despite what people have said about some of the shifts being too big of a jump, I had none of those complaints.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper, and a special thanks goes out to Pricepoint, since I won the XX1 group from them. Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Finally got my XX1 up and running. Here's a picture of the set up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	afterxx1install.jpg 
Views:	928 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	794614

Had my first test run today. I was worried about the range, especially while climbing, even though everything I read said it shouldn't be a problem. I was pleasantly surprised when the climb went better than I expected and had to stop due to my lungs rather than not being able to pedal. absolutely NO chain slap whatsoever. I can probably take the ghetto stay protector off, since I'm pretty sure I have no need for it. set up was easier than I expected and shifting was smooth as well, despite what people have said about some of the shifts being too big of a jump, I had none of those complaints.

All in all, I'm a very happy camper, and a special thanks goes out to Pricepoint, since I won the XX1 group from them. Thanks guys!
    You WON them. NICE. There aren't a lot of things sweeter than getting free bike stuff.

Funny thing about the XX1 locally is that it costs more than 90% of the bikes available on the market haha. Glad to know there ain't much chainslap though. My Force gets pretty noisy without a chain device.

mtbr member
    Finally got my XX1 up and running...
    Is that lower chain guide really needed? I'd say test it out without the guide.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Is that lower chain guide really needed? I'd say test it out without the guide.
    No, it isn't really needed (from what I understand). I can easily remove the guide portion of it, but my chain length took the guide into account... there might be slop in the chain if I take it off. But! you never know unless you try it, so if I remember, next time I'll take it off and report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    You WON them. NICE. There aren't a lot of things sweeter than getting free bike stuff.

Funny thing about the XX1 locally is that it costs more than 90% of the bikes available on the market haha. Glad to know there ain't much chainslap though. My Force gets pretty noisy without a chain device.
    The XX1 effectively doubled the value of my ride =P

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No, it isn't really needed (from what I understand). I can easily remove the guide portion of it, but my chain length took the guide into account... there might be slop in the chain if I take it off. But! you never know unless you try it, so if I remember, next time I'll take it off and report back.
    I say keep it. chain guides just look awesome for 1x10 or even 1x11 haha. but that's just me haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Had to redo my pivots the other day, and finally did a few mods I had been meaning to do on the Force.

First up, blocking the vent holes located on the "seat stays" of the rear swing arm. These 2 holes caused dirt and grime to build up in the drop out holes, and that location is notorious for creaking. I basically took some plastic (old tooth floss package), cut it to shape, cleaned out the area with IPA, and then used normal epoxy to affix them over the hole.

The hole in question:

The hole in question, covered up:

Second, mod was to install a shorter shock on the rear to further reduce my BB height and slacken out the bike even more. The offset bushings I have are still on the old shock, and I may add them on this shock in the future. For now the shorter shock really makes the bike super confidence inspiring. I rode Soquel Demostration Forest with the new setup and the bike felt perfect! I thought that with the Workscomponents 1.5 degree headset and the shorter shock that I would suffer climbing, but my fitness was still the only factor.

I will add a volume reducer to the shock because I bottomed out on a few big drops, but the stock shock bottomed out on the same features also.

Specs:
    Fox Float R
    Middle Compression Tune
    7.25" Eye to eye
    1.75" Stroke

Travel is now reduced to 131.25mm or so, but considering I was running the stock shock at close to 40% sag I really did not lose much. It's really super fun.

Bryan D.
    I miss my old short shocked force. Super fun and covered ground super fast.

Wanted to try it with a mid tune rear shock over the low tune I had. But I did end up reducing the air can volume to make the shock ramp up harder to try and cut down on hash bottom outs.

Lots of travel is not the be end to end all if it doesn't work well, quality travel is where it's at. As are good angles on a frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by herb1234 View Post
    I miss my old short shocked force. Super fun and covered ground super fast.

Wanted to try it with a mid tune rear shock over the low tune I had. But I did end up reducing the air can volume to make the shock ramp up harder to try and cut down on hash bottom outs.

Lots of travel is not the be end to end all if it doesn't work well, quality travel is where it's at. As are good angles on a frame.
    I've since added the largest volume reducer spacer to the 7.25" shock, and it worked really well for an enduro race I did but unfortunately I broke my collarbone so I have not been able to test it out on some serious drops or g-outs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've since added the largest volume reducer spacer to the 7.25" shock, and it worked really well for an enduro race I did but unfortunately I broke my collarbone so I have not been able to test it out on some serious drops or g-outs.
    Bummer am getting over a crash myself, having a week off and not being able to ride sucks.

The only issue I had with my force setup like that was that you had the bike setup to hit stuff hard and fast but after 6 months riding it like a DH bike I was losing my trust in the frame and it had started to have the death rattle after the 6 hour DH/endure race I did on it.
    Where as the sanction I have now just keeps on going and with its current setup there isn't that much of a weight penalty over the force.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Bah! hoping for a speedy recovery, man.

While we're on the topic of volume spacers in rear shocks, is there a preferred DIY method to doing this or is it always a manufacturer kit? I've heard some people add oil or grease to take up some of the volume. I feel like doing something like this will really make the stock O2 shock work for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have used oil (80-90 drive oil) and grease. Grease works better as it tends to stay in place where as the oil can move in to the neg air spring on some shocks making them stick down.

mtbr member
    Bah! hoping for a speedy recovery, man.

While we're on the topic of volume spacers in rear shocks, is there a preferred DIY method to doing this or is it always a manufacturer kit? I've heard some people add oil or grease to take up some of the volume. I feel like doing something like this will really make the stock O2 shock work for me.
    Thanks.

I figured for $25 have 3 pre-made doodads to play with was worth it instead of trying to make my own.

rebmem rbtm
    Alright... Almost brand new fork arrived today...

Rock Shox Lyrik Air R

Pretty light, .5kg less than the pike

Itīs a whole other bike. Awesome.

rebmem rbtm
    more pics:

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is your Sanction setup standard or short-shocked like your Force?

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast