Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    rebmem rbtm
    Ok... a couple of days ago I built mine. Here it is:

Offset bushings coming soon

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Looking good!

Tire Geek O_o
    HI guys, I have a 2008 GT Force, and I totally hate the bushing caps (dented) I was wondering if the newset style of bushing and caps can be bought and installed in the 20008 Force.

I would appreciate any info about this!
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    Ok... a couple of days ago I built mine. Here it is:

Offset bushings coming soon
    Another supafly GT.
    Thanks for sharing. Ride it well.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito View Post
    I've seen your bike Norcal. That's a sweet ride you got. I put the o-rings a few months ago and they seem to work pretty good on keeping the pivots cleaner and creak free longer. I got them at an Ace Hardware store. Pretty cheap.
    VERY good idea, do you know what size o-rings you used?

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by petriedav View Post
    VERY good idea, do you know what size o-rings you used?
    I would also be interested in the o ring sizing, and if you could post photos showing how you installed them, that be awesome.
    http://32spokesmtb.com - Promoting MTB & cycling from Mexico to the World!

Chamois Dropper
    I posted this up a few weeks ago. Seems to work okay, but my pivots take a few months to start creaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Attachment 766702Attachment 766704

Many thanks to gt jorgito for his idea of putting orings on the suspension pivots to help keep the pivots clean. The orings I used were labeled R-28. Their dimensions are : .210 cross section, internal diameter 1.475. You need to kind of pre-load the oring on the outer part of the pivot then flip it into place once it is assembled. I love my force but its pretty needy in the pivot maintenance department so I hope this helps. I'll report after a few months. Maybe I can change my custom user title. Sorry about the sideways pics, I haven't figured out how to fix that on my iPad, and my computer's down.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Has anyone run a Marzocchi 55 R on their GT Force?

160mm, 35mm stanchions.

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-70311.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Used 2010 GT Force 2.0 (SRAM)

I'm looking at a used 2010 GT Force 2.0 (SRAM). It has the RockShox Rev fork and x.9 components. Having a hard time researching fair prices for this specific model. This is my first FS bike (coming from HT SS), so I'm not sure about depreciation and reliability. What price range should I be looking at used? I apologize in advance if price talk is off topic. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    I just got a set of offset bushings for my 2009 GT force, And they fit great. with the shock bottomed, there's still a good 10mm or so between the seattube and the seatstay brace. So if anyone is thinking of slackening/lowering their force, it does work quite well, and noticeably slacker.

i got mine from Offsetbushings.com
    Those that are running offset bushings, how did you remove the existing bushings in your shock? Did you buy a tool and if so, can the same tool be used to install the offset bushings? Thansk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Those that are running offset bushings, how did you remove the existing bushings in your shock? Did you buy a tool and if so, can the same tool be used to install the offset bushings? Thansk.
    Rear Shock Reducer Maintenance

Take it to your shop. No offense, since you had to ask and the link above was from a half second Google search.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Had to redo my pivots the other day, and finally did a few mods I had been meaning to do on the Force.

First up, blocking the vent holes located on the "seat stays" of the rear swing arm. These 2 holes caused dirt and grime to build up in the drop out holes, and that location is notorious for creaking. I basically took some plastic (old tooth floss package), cut it to shape, cleaned out the area with IPA, and then used normal epoxy to affix them over the hole.

The hole in question:

The hole in question, covered up:

Second, mod was to install a shorter shock on the rear to further reduce my BB height and slacken out the bike even more. The offset bushings I have are still on the old shock, and I may add them on this shock in the future. For now the shorter shock really makes the bike super confidence inspiring. I rode Soquel Demostration Forest with the new setup and the bike felt perfect! I thought that with the Workscomponents 1.5 degree headset and the shorter shock that I would suffer climbing, but my fitness was still the only factor.

I will add a volume reducer to the shock because I bottomed out on a few big drops, but the stock shock bottomed out on the same features also.

Specs:
    Fox Float R
    Middle Compression Tune
    7.25" Eye to eye
    1.75" Stroke

Travel is now reduced to 131.25mm or so, but considering I was running the stock shock at close to 40% sag I really did not lose much. It's really super fun.

Bryan D.

rebmem rbtm
    Pics please! I'd like to see how a shorter shock looks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    Pics please! I'd like to see how a shorter shock looks
    Take your Force, put some pressure on the seat until the shock goes 1/4" in its travel, take a picture, and voila!

All jokes aside, there really is not much to see because the length is not perceptible without a ruler.

But here are some dirty pictures:

For the rainy season I opted to grease heavily to aid in water resistance, but this time around I am going to use less grease:

Hoping that it will last longer without squeaking, but I am betting my ham-fisted grease approach will provide longer squeak free operation; the last time I did my pivots was about 6 months ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    Has anyone run a Marzocchi 55 R on their GT Force?

160mm, 35mm stanchions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	70311.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	779777
    I have been running an X-Fusion Vengeance 160 with 36mm stanchions. NO problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojoaf View Post
    I have been running an X-Fusion Vengeance 160 with 36mm stanchions. NO problem.

Got a photo?

Saw a couple of Vengeances on PinkBike for $300 or so, not bad. How'd you lower the travel from 170mm?

I'm looking for a coil fork that's burly but isn't fussy - in terms of maintenance.

Braugh Bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    I'm looking for a coil fork that's burly but isn't fussy - in terms of maintenance.
    Sounds like you want a RS domain. About as low maintenance as you can get for a big burly fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    Sounds like you want a RS domain. About as low maintenance as you can get for a big burly fork.
    I actually nearly pulled the trigger on one - problem is I do more enduro/am type stuff and the Domain is a bit of a boat anchor. HAHA. Need something somewhat lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Posted this as a separate thread......but you should check it out, as I've found what appears to be cracks in my new Force Carbon frame....

Force Carbon : Several hairline "fractures" in new frame or is it?

Chamois Dropper
    Thinking about getting a dropper for my Force. I'm looking at the Fox, and it comes in a 4" and 5" . Does anyone have any experience with a specific travel on a dropper with a Force? I'm thinking the 4 would be enough, I have 7.5" from the top of my seat tube to my saddle rails right now with my saddle in a slightly lowered "trail" position so I can get behind it. My Force is a medium frame. Thanks
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: GT Sanction and Force reference thread

I use the X-fusion hilo dropper that came with the 2012 force and its decent I haven't had any issues with it since I got it... I know others have reported problems... But I havent had a single issue. Its a large frame, and I believe its a 100mm drop from top to bottom... Fits well on the large for me, I'm 6'2" and its almost to its minimum insertion line.

mtbr member
    The Vengeance I am running is the 2011 which I thought was a 160, 2012 and beyond are 170. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Here's a few pics I have posted previously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Sanction and Force reference thread-force_of_nature_2012.jpg  

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-2012-09-29_14-09-39_824.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I too like most on here had major creaking from my GT Force1.0 alloy bike...
    I thought the whole time it was my BB creaking, that's what it sounds like....

I read this post and went looking and actually found what I believe to be a design floor in the rear triangle....
    this is how I came up with my fix( please keep in mind this is for the alloy bike-I have no knowledge of the carbons version- guessing it's the same)

I started by removing the rear dropouts...and this is when I found the flaw in the GT design.... upon removing the pins I noticed they were a little dirty and slightly worn,...worn you might ask?...yeah ..I swore a WTF, mind you my bike is approximately 6 months old since it's build... so I had a closer inspection and noticed a hole in all four dropout bolt holes in the rear of the suspension triangle...and YES, there was sand and grit falling from them into the now vacant holes in the frame...
    I inspected the top of the rear drop tubes and also the front of the chain stay tubes...and the top 2 have rather large holes as the tubes are hollow, and the bottom tubes come around in an arc basically behind the pivots and infront of the leading edge of the rear tire...in the front center of this arc shaped tube you'll notice a small opening, obviously to let the tubes dry out when wet.... well this is where the sand and dirt and grit enter those tubes and make there way down to the rear dropout bolts and allow egress to damage your drop out bolts, I noticed wear on them from the holes.... a simple fix for the creaking is to make sure your tubes are dry and clean and silicon up the holes in both ends, this stops further dirt from getting insid ethe tubes and down to your dropout bolts, then clean and lube (with a water resistant/proof grease) every place metal touches metal where the dropouts meet the rear of the suspension triangle and also all of the pin bolts except the threads and reassemble....my creaking was gone immediately.... sometime after riding (hopefully months or longer) the grease will wash out and wear away and need to be replaced to keep the creaking at bay.....

Cheers-=CorpSe=-

hope this helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yeah I'm riding my Force with a TALAS RLC 6 inch ....sweet as and climbs well...I hardly ever drop it down...usually too buggered and never noticed it making much improvement, my local bike shop (giant bikes)says that with the i-drive setup I probably wont need to drop it...and tbh I havent needed too.... I've done 8 foot drops on the bike and it soaks them up nicely... great fork thats now buttery smooth and well run in...mind you I clean them after every ride...I have the kashima coated model

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CorpSe View Post
    I too like most on here had major creaking from my GT Force1.0 alloy bike...
    I thought the whole time it was my BB creaking, that's what it sounds like....

I read this post and went looking and actually found what I believe to be a design floor in the rear triangle....
    this is how I came up with my fix( please keep in mind this is for the alloy bike-I have no knowledge of the carbons version- guessing it's the same)

I started by removing the rear dropouts...and this is when I found the flaw in the GT design.... upon removing the pins I noticed they were a little dirty and slightly worn,...worn you might ask?...yeah ..I swore a WTF, mind you my bike is approximately 6 months old since it's build... so I had a closer inspection and noticed a hole in all four dropout bolt holes in the rear of the suspension triangle...and YES, there was sand and grit falling from them into the now vacant holes in the frame...
    I inspected the top of the rear drop tubes and also the front of the chain stay tubes...and the top 2 have rather large holes as the tubes are hollow, and the bottom tubes come around in an arc basically behind the pivots and infront of the leading edge of the rear tire...in the front center of this arc shaped tube you'll notice a small opening, obviously to let the tubes dry out when wet.... well this is where the sand and dirt and grit enter those tubes and make there way down to the rear dropout bolts and allow egress to damage your drop out bolts, I noticed wear on them from the holes.... a simple fix for the creaking is to make sure your tubes are dry and clean and silicon up the holes in both ends, this stops further dirt from getting insid ethe tubes and down to your dropout bolts, then clean and lube (with a water resistant/proof grease) every place metal touches metal where the dropouts meet the rear of the suspension triangle and also all of the pin bolts except the threads and reassemble....my creaking was gone immediately.... sometime after riding (hopefully months or longer) the grease will wash out and wear away and need to be replaced to keep the creaking at bay.....

Cheers-=CorpSe=-

hope this helps
    Check out post #712, I even posted some pics waaaay before in case anyone wants to see pics of what your talking about.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast