Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Man, I'm throwing around the idea of selling my force/frame and getting a sanction. I took this out on a trail where there are some fast downhills and it did great! But I think a sanction would be stronger, no? I'm a big guy and if I jump the force say 4-5ft in the air I'm not sure it can take my 205lb body. I'm 6'3". What do you guys think? If I keep it I'll need to slacken it some.

Where do you guys buy the sanction frames? Can't find any!!!
    2012 GT Force 2.0

I'm with stupid
    Its a shame that you are 6'3" I have a Medium frame for sale, its the same size as the Nomad large frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Its a shame that you are 6'3" I have a Medium frame for sale, its the same size as the Nomad large frame.
    No way really? I'll look at the dimensions. How much?
    2012 GT Force 2.0

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wgr73 View Post
    Man, I'm throwing around the idea of selling my force/frame and getting a sanction. I took this out on a trail where there are some fast downhills and it did great! But I think a sanction would be stronger, no? I'm a big guy and if I jump the force say 4-5ft in the air I'm not sure it can take my 205lb body. I'm 6'3". What do you guys think? If I keep it I'll need to slacken it some.

Where do you guys buy the sanction frames? Can't find any!!!

Honestly the force can handle it, I am 6'2" and 210 or so and have been jumping it without issue. But a lot of it has to do with how you land. If your smooth when you jump and drop the frame can take it.

If you ride rough and land flat and harsh I'm sure that will stress it more. But don't think just cause your 200+ it cant be done.

I've been to highland mtn a few times without issue, and I'm not going huge or anything but still hitting jumps and some smaller drops.

Braugh Bro.
    The Sanction isn't much stronger than the force, just has more gravity oriented geometry. I would also like to switch my force for a sanction eventually if I get the chance. (if anyone wants to trade a sanction for my 2009 XL force frame, lemme know .

There are sanction frames on ebay, for like 900 clams or so. more than i have to spend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by On3_kn0WN View Post
    Honestly the force can handle it, I am 6'2" and 210 or so and have been jumping it without issue. But a lot of it has to do with how you land. If your smooth when you jump and drop the frame can take it.

If you ride rough and land flat and harsh I'm sure that will stress it more. But don't think just cause your 200+ it cant be done.

I've been to highland mtn a few times without issue, and I'm not going huge or anything but still hitting jumps and some smaller drops.

Makes sense. Ya I'll want to land softer if possible. All depends on the spot I ride. Mostly just fast down the trails

Quote Originally Posted by Buggyr333 View Post
    The Sanction isn't much stronger than the force, just has more gravity oriented geometry. I would also like to switch my force for a sanction eventually if I get the chance. (if anyone wants to trade a sanction for my 2009 XL force frame, lemme know .

There are sanction frames on ebay, for like 900 clams or so. more than i have to spend.
    Gotcha, thanks. Ya I like the gravity geo. Fits the category perfect. If I can setup my geometry that way on the force then that'd work too!
    2012 GT Force 2.0

I'm with stupid
    The force and the sanction from my understanding had a different alloy to make it stronger and of course heavier and the head tube has gussets on the sanction.

wgr73 if you decide that will fit you shoot me a pm, if we work out a deal then I will have to give mtbr my buck to list the frame for about 30 seconds.....its only fair haha

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    So I went for an 8 mile ride yesterday, very technical. The bike performed flawlessly. After adding 785mm bars and Ergon Gs1 grips it was a monster!

I lowered my tire pressure to about 33-35psi and it felt really good there! Had a lot of fun yesterday, I want to do that ride again soon. I'm loving this bike more and more!
    2012 GT Force 2.0

Braugh Bro.

finally have my force in a position that i can be proud of.
    2009 GT force 3.0 XL frame
    Fox Dhx Air 5.0
    Fox Float 36 r 160mm
    FSA xc-500 ust wheels
    Michelin X-trem tubeless tires
    Avid bb7 brakes (for now)
    Offset shock Bushings
    Raceface Turbine 32/22t
    sram x7/x9 drivetrain.
    ect.

Heavy, like 34lbs
    ~67.5 HTA with the offset bushings (works with my xl frame, have heard mixed reports of working with other sizes)

I use it for AM, XC, and light freeride when i'm on trails that doesnt warrant me using my ruckus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Guys, I have a question... switched up my reverb cable routing because the cable was being bent into weird angles and the housing was getting permanent wrinkles on 'em. And it was beginning to annoy me that the cable would brush my legs once in a while.

With the seat down the cable doesn't hit anything, with the seat up the cable is touching the shock. No problems when I tried pushing the shock down though (both seat up and down)... you guys might see something I don't though.. whatchatink?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prancisfena View Post
    Guys, I have a question... switched up my reverb cable routing because the cable was being bent into weird angles and the housing was getting permanent wrinkles on 'em. And it was beginning to annoy me that the cable would brush my legs once in a while.

With the seat down the cable doesn't hit anything, with the seat up the cable is touching the shock. No problems when I tried pushing the shock down though (both seat up and down)... you guys might see something I don't though.. whatchatink?
    In my opinion, the stanchions should never have any contact besides your travel o-ring and bushings. If the cable is indeed touching the shock stanchions I would re-think the routing.

I have my dropper cable kind of twisted with my rear brake cable (I have my rear brake running on the top-tube), and it works out for me.

Bryan
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Checked it out yesterday and it wasn't touching - the cable was hitting the swingarm though. My riding buddies convinced me to be a big boy and cut the cables already. I was too afraid that I'll do something wrong with the remote that's why i've been putting off the hose cutting. haha. Time to MTFU i guess

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Buggyr333- What was your original HTA? 69°? Your bike looks sick!

Braugh Bro.
    Thanks-
    I never measured it really. My measurements are based solely on the assumption that it was 69 degrees stock. Offset bushings slack it by 1 degree, so about 68 with those. 160mm fork has a 10mm taller A/C height which should slack it out by ~0.5 degrees, so that's 67.5 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got back from a ride today and was missing my crank arm fixing bolt. A search for a Shimano FC-M552 fixing bolt doesn't turn up much. Does anyone know if the Shimano FC-M582 LX Crank Arm Fixing Bolt is compatible? Or if any others would work?

Last edited by mdg3d; 12-10-2012 at 09:11 AM.

I'm with stupid
    Not sure about the bolt question, but cool looking pic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks! I ended up ordering the Shimano FC-M582 from a dealer on ebay who told me it would fit. As soon as it arrives I will post the result.

The bolt for the FC-M582 fit.
    Last edited by mdg3d; 12-16-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Update

rebmem rbtm
    I have an Avalanche 2.0 all modded up which I absolutely love and i'm fascinated with, I love hardtails. However i've always loved the looks of the force and always said if i'd ever swap to a FS it'd be either a Force, Sanction or a Spesh Enduro.
    I have the oportunity to buy a 2011 frame from a friend at a great price, he spray painted it white like Da Athertonīs Force LE. I love the way it looks, however itīs a size "S". I currenty ride an Avalanche size "M". I'm 1,77m tall (about 5'11") and I love my avalanche although I always thought about a smaller ad longer frame for better standover clearance. According to GT's geometry the top tube is about 1cm shorter... Will this be much of a difference? Is it worth it? I think iīm gonna go with it but iīd like to hear some input since for what I've heard Force frames are big for the size.

This is my Avalanche (all of the components would go to the force):

And this is the Force frame i'd buy;

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juancho142 View Post
    I have an Avalanche 2.0 all modded up which I absolutely love and i'm fascinated with, I love hardtails. However i've always loved the looks of the force and always said if i'd ever swap to a FS it'd be either a Force, Sanction or a Spesh Enduro.
    I have the oportunity to buy a 2011 frame from a friend at a great price, he spray painted it white like Da Athertonīs Force LE. I love the way it looks, however itīs a size "S". I currenty ride an Avalanche size "M". I'm 1,77m tall (about 5'11") and I love my avalanche although I always thought about a smaller ad longer frame for better standover clearance. According to GT's geometry the top tube is about 1cm shorter... Will this be much of a difference? Is it worth it? I think iīm gonna go with it but iīd like to hear some input since for what I've heard Force frames are big for the size.
    Don't choose for a too-small frame... you'll have to find your breathing room with a long stem and setback seatpost, and you'll ruin the ride! For 1m77, I would definately go for a Medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    Don't choose for a too-small frame... you'll have to find your breathing room with a long stem and setback seatpost, and you'll ruin the ride! For 1m77, I would definately go for a Medium.
    I'd agree with the medium suggestion. I too am 5'11" but I ride a large with a 50mm stem and I like the fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got an XL Sanction hoping it might fit...but at 6'0, I just dunno.The standover seems OK...but the top tube length is about an inch longer than I usually use.I'm hoping a 50mm stem and my big sweep alt bar will work.Might put a 120mm 29er fork and a 29er tire on there and create a 96er. I didn't know how heavy the frame is though!! But I got it for a hundred bucks shipped brand new, so it's worth a shot I guess. If it doesn't work out...I'll sell it or give it to my cuz as a present.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

rebmem rbtm
    One question, once i buy the frame, since itīs a tapered head tube and I have a pike 1-1/8 fork, what is exactly the part i need to buy? I mean which headset? Any reducing headset will fit? Any tips on which one?

mtbr member
    One question, once i buy the frame, since itīs a tapered head tube and I have a pike 1-1/8 fork, what is exactly the part i need to buy? I mean which headset? Any reducing headset will fit? Any tips on which one?
    Might want to throw the company an e-mail first but...

2 0 Degree EC44 - ZS49 - Tapered Headtube Reducer e g Old Giant Glory

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hello,

First time for me here and wanted to say hi and post a question.

I have a 2009 GT Carbon Force Expert (bought brand new from on-line store in 2011). The online store charged me $99 for a "genius build" which will activate warranties. So far they have been great and re-imbursed me with some issue early on.

Fast forward to Jan 2013, I found a section of missing carbon from the seat stay (about 1" x 0.5") rubbed off from where the brake cable passes through. Brake cable also rubbed off but not leaking. This is the first time I saw this when I was servicing the idrive. I reckon about 1-3mm of carbon has been rubbed off but cannot see any holes through the frame. I am surprised there is that much carbon material in that area.

Do you think this will compromise the integrity of the bike? Do you think I have a claim with GT since this is how I got it from the autorized dealer/factory?

I've attached pictures too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GT Sanction and Force reference thread-2013-01-13_16-03-27_510.jpg  

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-2013-01-13_15-55-35_705.jpg  

GT Sanction and Force reference thread-2013-01-13_15-59-35_276.jpg  

I can be the last one up the hill, but I'm doing laps around those on the couch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    not sure exactly what you need...but these people might have something.
    DU Bushing and Needle Bearing Shock Tool
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast